ReefCleaners.org

Snail IDs - 3 Varieties

cilantro72

Here is the story...

I bought my live rock from a guy that was breaking down an established tank. As is often the case, there were hitchhikers. I am trying to ID the two types of snails that came home with me from him. I think one is a Murex snail and the other is a Cerith snail, but would like other folks input.

The third type of snail that I am trying to ID was purchased at a LFS. It was supposed to be Nassarius snails, but I am not convined after watching their behavior and comparing it to other peoples posts and to what liveaquaria.com has to say.

Anyway, I hosted the pics at reefcentral. Here is the LINK

Would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks,

-M

EtOH_is_good

i cant id anything from the thumbnails (i haven't registered with rc). try looking here.

ah stupid, just saw you were already using liveaquaria link. sorry that i couldnt be more helpful.

ETOH (and anyone else that can help me ID these snails):

I stuck the pictures in my gallery here as well:

LINK

Thanks for any help you can offer in this ID.

-M

You can still see the bigger pictures without registering or logging in on RC by opening up the first link that cilantro72 posted and then right clicking on the thumbnail and go to properties then copy the location of the picture and open up another new window in your browser and paste the link in the address bar of your browser and then take off -thumb at the end of the picture, then press enter. Here is an example:

I copyed this

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/61..._Side-thumb.jpg

then changed it to

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/61...70Nass_Side.jpg

see the difference? Hope this helps, enjoy!

the photo: Nassarius (Face)? with the eliptical shell is a Nerite snail. Very good film algae eater, usually stays on the glass and cleans other snails. Can't turn themselves over so give em an assist.

Agree with Krispy....Nerite! The Nassarius on the glass, might actually be a cerith. Just speaking from what I've heard, nassarius don't go up on the glass....maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Do they burrow in the sand?

my nassarius mainly stay in the sand. However they pop out when the food hits the water (very cool, like Tremors without Kevin Bacon). They will slide up the glass and then fall down. Not so smart I guess.

do the nassarius completely "submerge" in the sand? As in you can't see them at all?

Mine seem to bury themselves slightly, but never all the way.

As for the Nassarius (face) picture...

I am not convinced that it is a Nerite. You can't tell from that picture, but his shell if more conical/oval-spiralyish than what I would expect on a Nerite.

Hmmmm....

well the lighting on the picture is tough, it could be a bumblebee species. Not the ones we usually see, the ones that are all black. It almost looks like the snail could be upside down in the photo. I am almost positive it is a Nerite. There a a few forms and that looks like the most common.

Nass. snails have a snorkel, and that is all the stays above the sand when they bury themselves. Maybe yours are just lazy heh heh.

Archived