SaltCritters.com

My 1gal jar pico

KyleAwesome

You can try to put some mysis shrimp or a few ghost shrimp in there, those are hardy creatures.

Jar is coming along nicely :)

A ghost shrimp would be good. They swim around quite a bit so it will keep the tank lively.

Ghost shrimp as in the 15cent freshwater variety? I'm not opposed to them, but they're not my first choice, maybe something with some more color? I do realize I'm asking alot here! I've got some amano, CRS, and bamboo shrimp in my freshwater tanks. I wish there were other types of small crabs that would be happy in there.

I'm thinking about reworking some of the hardscape, there are a few rocks that would put the corals too close to the light source, I already baked one small frag of zoas. Should open up some more space as well.

There is also a volcano shrimp (similar to red cherry shrimp), i think those are one of the hardiest shrimps and if im not mistaking, they can be adapted for a reef tank. Also u might try your luck with a sexy shrimp, but those things might eat your zoas skirts.

Rescaped a bit yesterday. Wasnt planning on moving the frags so early but I added two larger hermits, one red legged and one dwarf zebra leg a few days ago, not sure which one of them it was but every time I'd check the smaller frags they would be upside down. I added two dwarf ceriths at the same time but I think it was the hermits. Used "holdfast" from petsmart. I've read it can be a pain to do with wet rock so I took another members recommendation and used some super glue gel on each joint. Definitely made the process much easier but they still look like they were done by a five year old.

zTKRglD.png

h9C6bD9.png

bonus: stomatella snail

dEGuril.png

lNN9GSE.png

around back where I'm farming some marco's

ww0TE9B.png

Probably the easiest way to see it all, top view.

Zpn4C7v.png

I'm thinking I need to adjust my photoperiod, I've got the whites going 12hrs, and the blues running 24/7. This seems to be alright when I'm home over the weekends, but by the time I get home on weekdays everything is less extended and not super happy. How long does everyone run their lights?

• 4 months later...
KyleAwesome

Update on the jar's progression:

9VZt23f.png

Shot form the right side of the jar.

PtszADd.png

Same as above but from the left hand side, I have some nice green zoas that are upset in this picture, a hermit barreled through them a moment before I took these.

cPizUDv.png

Looking through the jar at the xenia on the right side. The curve of the glass makes getting anything fully in focus impossible.

AkCVvyr.png

And finally a shot of the sand bed.

2Lc4ybm.png

• 5 months later...

Decided to take a quick shot of the jar's current inhabitants. I've recently added a small favia that I picked up from the LFS. It wasnt in the best shape when I got it. Some aiptasia, some cyno and bubble aglea plus a little bleaching on one tip but I performed a peroxide dip on it when I first brought it home and now its happy. Feeding tentacles come out each night. The purple palys dont like their new spot up on the rock. I've had em on the send bed for a while now, decided to move up a notch about two weeks ago. I'll be pulling em back down with my next water change.

HxA7Xkt.png

wonderful KISS pico, truly good job. I see a year has crept in, and in that time about 5400 normal sized tanks were lost, but the rule breaker survived, irony. you can repeat the set of actions you just did over 12 mos and this tank w simply live with no biological lifespan, like coral should. of course we need a little luck with no poweroutages, ac outages etc

Thanks Brandon. I'm very happy with how things have progressed. I'm entirely confident I can keep this little tank going indefinitely. It really doesnt seem to require any more time or attention than any of my others. Every week or two spot feed with reef-roids and do a 50-100% water change weekly. Otherwise its a set-it and forget-it setup.

Things have grown so much and everyone is doing great, cant wait to see what it looks like in another years time.

Archived