Pod Your Reef

Could Somebody Please....

basser1

nano_reefer10

That mushroom you posted does not truly look like that, it's so incredibly photo-shopped. Frag Junky purchased that from a store down the road from me; the owner is his friend.. These are for sale for $30. It's ridiculous what this hobby has come to...

A big problem comes from treating a reef tank like a collection vs what it really is, a mini ecosystem. People are losing touch with what the hobby is about imo.

2012-09-29_11-55-06_380_zpsnhpey4k6.jpg

I had what they call "bounce shrooms" before anybody knew what they were. They are pimpled up yumas basically and now they go for 100s of dollars

nano_reefer10

Couldn't agree more. Down here in my area many people have the same corals because we look at it as a learning experience rather than a "my coral collection is nicer than yours" or what it comes down to now- "I have more money than you." If you buy a nice frag, let it grow, then frag it and pass it around via trade or cheap sale. Then, you can see who's system it does best in. By doing that you're developing the hobby rather than facilitating the mass increase in prices for that "totally awesome" coral where the photographers hand is so blue you can barely see it against the rock work/glass.

Archived