SaltCritters.com

IM desktop Ghost...MICROBUBBLES!

zstriker

Fishsticks2187

so I tried something out....I flipped the skimmer around, so the output grill is facing the side overflow, rather than the middle of the tank where the return is....no more microbubbles in display section....just wanted to share

after doing this you are still getting good skim?

reefernanoman

after the vinegar bath and fixing the clogged ventury valve, this skimmer is starting to produce a good amount of foam and the micro bubbles are 90% gone (just a bubble here and there). It's only been a day, but much better!

• Like 2
reefernanoman

I want to add that this skimmer has been working great until I added a frag last night. I always use Loctite super glue gel and JB water weld underwater putty. Well this made the skimmer go crazy. I had to raise the skimmer cup and lower the amount of air going into the skimmer, but now the micro bubbles are back, like if the skimmer was brand new. It has been 15hrs with the micro bubbles. I was thinking about doing a water change and cleaning the skimmer again in Vinegar. I sent an email to IM to see what they think. Thoughts?

reefernanoman

I went ahead and gave the skimmer a vinegar bath. A I going to have to do this every time I add a frag? Maybe I should change to the more expensive stuff the online retailers sell to glue frags, or are they the same thing?

reefernanoman

After reading a few articles, I found out that the JB weld putty is the culprit. I'm switching to this, since reviews claim that it will not make your skimmer go crazy :

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001EU5QNG/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=26PQBIGAZBIZ6&coliid=IBUQWU83G90VR

Fishsticks2187

after the vinegar bath and fixing the clogged ventury valve, this skimmer is starting to produce a good amount of foam and the micro bubbles are 90% gone (just a bubble here and there). It's only been a day, but much better!

how much water and how much vinegar did you use to make up the bath? and do you just leave the skimmer in the bath or do you run the skimmer while its in the bath? also how long did you leave it in for? glad to hear there is hope! these bubbles are driving me crazy!!!

reefernanoman
how much water and how much vinegar did you use to make up the bath? and do you just leave the skimmer in the bath or do you run the skimmer while its in the bath? also how long did you leave it in for? glad to hear there is hope! these bubbles are driving me crazy!!!

Well, initially, my issue was the clogged ventury valve. I used pure vinegar when I gave this thing a bath. I think that I used about 3 cups of vinegar, and let the skimmer sit in there half way (since the container wasn't big enough. I didn't run the skimmer, just flushed the vinegar between two containers and through the skimmer(I let it sit in there for about 2 hrs) . I must add that this cut the micro bubbles to 90+ %. But as I mentioned, I added a frag yesterday, and the bubbles came back! I already did another vinegar bath, but it didn't do the trick this time. It was recommended by IM to do a water change, change the filter floss, and not to turn on the skimmer for 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

I did a video of the skimmer working correctly(in my eyes). I tried to show the water level, very small micro-bubble production and the foam the it is producing. I hope it helps:

• Like 3
Fishsticks2187

I did a video of the skimmer working correctly(in my eyes). I tried to show the water level, very small micro-bubble production and the foam the it is producing. I hope it helps:

great video, thanks so much for the updates. i am glad there is hope lol i am going to give my skimmer the vinegar bath tomorrow when i do my water change and hopefully that takes care of my micro bubbles

• Like 1
reefernanoman
great video, thanks so much for the updates. i am glad there is hope lol i am going to give my skimmer the vinegar bath tomorrow when i do my water change and hopefully that takes care of my micro bubbles

Sure no problem. I almost gave up on it, but patience is needed for skimmers .Make sure that there's nothing in your water,like uncured JB weld,which will make this skimmer produce micro bubbles.

• 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Did you ever get your skimmer to work correctly with no micro bubbles? Mine is kicking but. It is taking some nasty funk out of my tank with good foam production.

• 2 weeks later...
Fishsticks2187
Did you ever get your skimmer to work correctly with no micro bubbles? Mine is kicking but. It is taking some nasty funk out of my tank with good foam production.

I fell victim to to curse of the nuvo16... Mine sprung a leak!! The bottom seal broke and no came home to a puddle of salt water on my floor.. Thank god I came home when I did so I only lost about a gallon of water but what a nightmare this has been.

I'm still having problems with getting mine setup. I had it pulling skimmate out after 2 weeks and now i've gone 2 weeks w/o any skimmate. I overstocked my tank to make sure it wasn't a bio load issue and still nothing. I have bubbles going half way up the tube and the pop and dissappear. It's like there isn't enough bad stuff to hold them together but i know that's not possible. (or a chemical or something is stopping it from forming bubbles) I have the initial media in it atm.

Microbubbles are nearly gone.

Skimmer is 1.5" above water line.

Cup is about 2/3 up.

Any ideas? I've tried turning the venturi up, cleaning the venturi, pushing the cup further down and pushing the skimmer further down. (using a magnet to get it at the 1.5" mark.

reefernanoman

I'm still having problems with getting mine setup. I had it pulling skimmate out after 2 weeks and now i've gone 2 weeks w/o any skimmate. I overstocked my tank to make sure it wasn't a bio load issue and still nothing. I have bubbles going half way up the tube and the pop and dissappear. It's like there isn't enough bad stuff to hold them together but i know that's not possible. (or a chemical or something is stopping it from forming bubbles) I have the initial media in it atm.

Microbubbles are nearly gone.

Skimmer is 1.5" above water line.

Cup is about 2/3 up.

Any ideas? I've tried turning the venturi up, cleaning the venturi, pushing the cup further down and pushing the skimmer further down. (using a magnet to get it at the 1.5" mark.

If there is stuff in my water that the skimmer doesn't like, it will not work for about a week and microbubbles will be present. Have you added anything recently to your tank?

• 1 year later...

Looking to see if you guys still have any issue with this skimmer. I bought the mid-size on for my Fusion 40, but after reading so many mixed reviews I am wondering if Aquamaxx HOB-1 is much better choice than Ghost Skimmer.

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi guys I was reading this and just wanted to know if my protein skimmer should be making foam. All mine is doing is making micro bubbles and the air valve isn't really working. It's only been two days but I just want to make sure it's working properly.