Innovative Marine Aquariums

11 gallon tank advise

shark565

I found a torrent with some books. i downloaded it and found these:

The reef aquarium vol 1 and vol 2 by Julian Sprung

Saltwater aquarium models by John Tullock

Natural reef aquariums by John Tullock

Reef secret by Alf Jacob Nilsen

and some encyclopedias. There are some excel tables. Are these books good?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more you read, the better. I've read a number of reef books, they will provide a good foundation for this hobby. Of course, online sources (such as this website) are often more current than books that are several years old. However, inaccurate information has a tendency to get passed along as well. But you'll eventually recognize certain online members that provide quality information.

If I set up the reef with 1 kg of LR and put the BS after some time is there difference than putting the BS and the LR at the beginning? I am now starting with the Reef aquarium by Julian Sprung.

I think that you are one of these members. I asked like a thousand stupid things ,sometime more than once and you were there to tell me : "That is okay" or "That is not" or "You don't actually need that". Thank you Seabass and everyone who keep helping me in my future reef.

If I set up the reef with 1 kg of LR and put the BS after some time is there difference than putting the BS and the LR at the beginning?

Does BS mean sand? I would put any dry rock and sand in along with the live rock as early as possible. This will give it some more time for bacteria (and other life) to spread to these surfaces. There would be no advantage to wait.

Thank you Seabass...

You are welcome.

I mean base rock, but the dry one. I wonder how big is one kg of LR, because I want the aquascape to be like JayPay's but i am going to buy it from another city. Can you tell me the dimensions of 1 kg?

It depends on how porous the rock is. For a proper biofilter, you'll need at least 1 kilogram of rock per gallon of water. So I'm guessing that you'll want a total of about 12 kilograms of rock. A one kilogram rock is pretty small; I'd guess it's a little smaller than a baseball (depending on how dense it is).

I just read a thread about the anemones and i think i became a big fan before even having one. I want to know everything about the maxi mini anemones. Is there something which stimulates their growth and splitting? Can you tell me where to read everything about them and the rock flower anemones too?

I would just do online searches. Maxi Mini anemones are also called Mini Carpet anemones. I've never had one split. However, my rock flower anemones have had babies. They are from different oceans, but can be kept in the same tank with the other.

I have been reading through the forum and I started planning a pico cube. I like planning. I thought of 25/25/25sm tank with a hang on 400l/h filter. The lightning is always the hardest part. I found this on ebay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111056139456&alt=web and http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-9x3-27W-PAR30-LED-Coral-Reef-Grow-Light-6White-3Blue-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Lamp-/161167666610?
The live rock is going to be 2 kg. Is this a better setup than the previous one? The evaporation is going to be big so i think i can manage to put a 500ml bottle with RO/DI water in hang on. What do you think?
P. S. For now I am sticking with the idea for the 11 gallon. Just love planning.

I thought of 25/25/25sm tank with a hang on 400l/h filter.

I assume you mean centimeters (cm). So it would be a 9.8" cube (a 4.1 gallon tank).

The live rock is going to be 2 kg.

I'd double that.

Is this a better setup than the previous one?

Better at what? The flow would be good, but it's a shallow tank and the flow is coming from the top down and not from the side. This would likely push the sand around.

The evaporation is going to be big so i think i can manage to put a 500ml bottle with RO/DI water in hang on. What do you think?

The evaporation shouldn't be that much worse than the larger tank. Daily top offs are important with any tank. An auto top off can be handy.

I'd probably stick with the larger tank, and planning for it. You might even consider a couple of those LED bulbs for the 11 gallon tank.

Today, I understood I am going to my place after several months. I can't set up the tank into the new place beacause we are making repairs. So, I decided to set up my 16 litre tank. I have an internal filter 300 l/h. The sand is in it too. I need some LR and the lights. Can I start the tank without the lights?I think i am going to use the 15w bulb or a 15w clip on is it okay? I am going to put active carbon and a sponge in the filter. I am planing to make a zoa garden with a hermit may be. Can i make smth like a maxi mini anemine garden? Do the maxi minis need powerful lights or they need regular feeding?

So a 4.2 gallon tank with a 79gph internal filter. That's just under 19 times turnover. That should be enough flow for zoanthids and a mini carpet anemone, but having two sources usually provides more random flow patterns. If you use the sponge in the filter, just make sure you keep it clean. The mini carpets don't need intense lighting, but they do need good lighting (with supplemental feeding).

Can you tell me more about the lightning for carpets and supplemental feeding?

... feeding them a little once a week is probably a good practice. They'll eat almost anything (Mysis shrimp is a good choice). But you can feed them whatever you plan to feed your fish.

Those other LED bulb you linked would probably be much better.

Should i add things like calcium...

Soft coral and anemones don't consume calcium. Water changes should provide enough trace elements. You should never dose unless you've determined the consumption rate via testing. And then you are just replenishing consumed elements (not elevating them).

With the 27w bulb can i keep some LPS and zoas beside the mini maxi anemone? If i use a second internal for more flow and filtration can i use both of them in the 11 gallon with a wavemaker ? It is hard for me to find LR, I found dead rock. What should i do to start the cycle add some fish food may be to break down to ammonia and to start the cycle? You said i should use bacteria additive. Is sera biostart or nitrivec okay?

With the 27w bulb can i keep some LPS and zoas beside the mini maxi anemone?

Sure, feed the LPS a little once a week too.

If i use a second internal for more flow and filtration can i use both of them in the 11 gallon with a wavemaker ?

If you use a second internal filter, you'll be using up a lot of real estate with equipment. On the first page you mentioned a 400lph hang on back filter. That's 25 times turnover, which is pretty good. Plus you planning on using one on your 11 gallon tank). I'd just go with that.

It is hard for me to find LR, I found dead rock. What should i do to start the cycle add some fish food may be to break down to ammonia and to start the cycle? You said i should use bacteria additive. Is sera biostart okay?

I haven't heard of Biostart before. If it is a culture of nitrifying bacteria for marine aquaria, then sure, I'd add it to the dry rock. I normally use a clean source of ammonia (DrTim's Ammonium Chloride) for dry rock, but you could use a slice of raw shrimp if you can't find a source. No problem if you can't find a bacteria culture for saltwater (it will eventually grow on its own).

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Suit565/media/10722224_929251193770661_977304231_o_zps8e2478c5.jpg.html'>10722224_929251193770661_977304231_o_zps

This is the tank right now. I am going to order the dead rock and the bulb tomorrow. I might go to my LFS for active carbon, salt and salinity meter. The dead rock should be there in several days, but i don't know about the bulb. If i start the tank without light and put the light after some time. Are there going to be any consequences?

The substrate looks a little coarse (which might collect detritus). Do you have access to a finer grain sand?

You can start the tank without a light. However, you must add a light before you add any photosynthetic livestock (coral and/or anemones).

I am going to look for finer sand in my lfs. We have very fine sand on the beach, but isn't white, it's yellowish. What can i add to the clean up crew to fight the detritus? Are there any hardy corals who are non-photosyntetic?

What can i add to the clean up crew to fight the detritus?

A dwarf hermit crab, cerith snails, and nassarius snails to name a few.

Are there any hardy corals who are non-photosyntetic?

Most aren't considered easy due to the fact that you have to feed them. The most common is probably sun coral.
nanolutionary

...I am going to my place after several months. I can't set up the tank into the new place beacause we are making repairs. So, I decided to set up my 16 litre tank...

So am I understanding correctly that this tank will only have a 2-3 month lifespan before you terminate it?

I not going to terminate it. My new place is very close. I am going to set it up here and then move it or move everything in the bigger new one .

Archived