Top Shelf Aquatics

"Any tank over 20G should have a skimmer", but what IS a skimmer?

Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey

It removes protein from the water, right?

What size should I get for my 29G, what exactly does it do, and will it remove things vital to the other creatures in my tank?

Thanks!

i have a34 gal tank and a aqua c remora and its great :) it removes all the junk from the tank before it breaks down into the bad things we dont want i belive amonia nitrates and the likes :)

i bought mine from www.marinedepot.com and do not get it with the rio 800 get it with the MJ 1200 :)

EtOH_is_good

ah a question that everyone was too bored with to answer. welcome back to nr. where did you go for so long without setting up your tank? protein skimmers remove dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) from the water. foam created by tiny air bubbles creates surface tension so that DOCs stick to the surface of the bubble. as bubbles rise up the tube it'll carry the DOC to the top and eventually into a collection cup. it's possible to remove some beneficial things found in water, but in general you'll be taking more of the bad out. i also have a remora. it has enough capacity to handle your tank.

EtOH_is_good

of course not, but it'll be easier to maintain the tank with the additional waste eliminator. water changes work well. also depends on what's in the tank. if i had a reef with fish, or even zoanthids, id want to have one.

Archived