Cultivated Reef

CAD Lights 4G Build

drewgrano

After doing a bit of research tonight, I now know that I have a zoo eating nudibranch problem! I really really really don't want to have to remove my zoas and dip them, so im going to attempt to siphon them out for a week and see if I notice any improvement. If not, I suppose I'll be removing my zoas and quarantine them till the problems solved. The nudibranches won't harm any of my other corals will they?

Well, I have some good news and some bad news. Good news is that I'm definitely winning the battle against my zoa eating nudis. I only found one this morning, none so far tonight. The bad news is that my damaged torch suddenly decided to die. It quickly deteriorated over the last couple of days and I finally decided to remove it tonight. While removing it, my frogspawn came lose. Any suggestions on a new place to put it?

IMG_20141017_191234595_HDR.jpg

Side note - here's my freshwater tank that I've been having just as much fun with!

IMG_20141016_224802855.jpg

I'm afraid to leave it in the sand because my pistol shrimp drastically rearranges my sand on a nightly basis. I think he'd end up burying it, or at least knocking it over.

I made a trip to the LFS last night and picked up a few things. I wanted a new torch to replace the one I just lost, but the cheapest they had was a large gold torch for $160! So I settled on this purple euphyllia cristata. Can't decide if I like the short tentacles or not, but I do like the purple. Looks like some snowflake polyp hitchhikers on the side of it, bonus! I also got a green ricordia, and a small rock that I found in one of their tanks with some pulsing xenia, GSP, and zoas on it. I'm getting quite a bit better at gluing these guys down, but I did find some bubble algae on the euphyllia cristata that I had explode all over my face while trying to remove it... so that kinda traumatized me for awhile lol. Good news is that my zoas are looking much much better.

I would like to add some more height to the back left corner... but I think I'll leave everything be for a month or so and see how everything starts to grow out.

IMG_20141018_164156868_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141018_164215443_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141018_182706779_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141018_182604779_HDR.jpg

i like the purple coral addition. did you glue

it on? looks great on the rock. i'd love something

else wavy. my main gsp is bleached and not pretty

at all. i figure i'd give it 9 months to see if it'll recover, then

i might get rid of it. :o awful, i know. i might not have the

heart when time comes and move it to the back somewhere

if i have space. but it's not pretty.

Yea, its glued on. They all are. The glue looks ugly but I figure it'll get covered with algae or something else eventually. GSP isn't my favorite, but its cheap, so I have it lol.

i quite like gsp! and yes, it is cheap.

can i ask about your gluing technique and what

you use? you are doing it underwater, yes?

i've not had much luck at all with my putty.

a hammer or even better, an octo would be great.

that is my wishlist for a wavy thing. but they need

more space than i've got right now. i love my frogspawn.

I just use loctite super glue gel. It was definitely a learning process. I do it underwater and I think the key is to just use A LOT. The first couple of times I tried I thought I was using plenty but it never stuck. Now I put like a cm thick of glue on the end and kind of rub it against the rock to make sure it's in any holes/grooves then I hold it there for a couple of minutes. I don't turn my filter on for another 10 minutes to make sure flow doesn't know it off. The other trick is to not have any of it touching your hand... I glued my hand to the coral a couple of times and had to repeat the whole process because I couldn't get my hand free without removing the coral lol.

Archived