inTank Media Baskets

Is this 72W or 36W? drsfostersmith.com

HeyImEugene

HeyImEugene

Is the double fixture you see near the bottom of the list combined 36W or a 72W system? I called them and their tech dude is stupid.. he couldn't answer any of my questions.

If its a 36W double fixture system, I never knew they made 18W powercompacts! But if indeed it is a 36Wx2 system then the price can't be beat.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...004+113030+1011

So what is it?

My guess is that it would be a 2x36 because the 18w watters are 12" long. Plus they also show a double fixture for the 12" 18w. So a total of 72 watts would be my educated guess.

Yo folks:

CD-17792 Drs. Foster & Smith Power Compact Fluorescent Double Fixture (20" - 36W) Regular

$46.99 Special

$37.59

Ya there's no way a 72w fixture would only be $40.00. Not to mention that it's 6500k bulbs.

I also say 72w

Their catalog say single 1-bulb, double 2-bulb.

The only problem I see is that they are only 6500K

Great price though. I wonder how well built they are.

They are pretty cheap. Really slim (less materials) no room for a fan. All the components are made in china (I presume.) But hey, they get the job done. The fixture is metal (good thing) the reflector is cardboard backed mylar, encaps are plastic. But, it does come with an acrylic splash guard (not bad, eh?).

And, yes, its 72 watts. Dual 36ers.

HeyImEugene

VOn digity, by the way you talk of it, I assume you own one? Thanks for all the feedback people! I think I'm going to order it as its the cheapeast alternative to ger more wattage.. all I need to do is find some 50/50 replacement bulbs!

Yah, I just bought the single 36 watt fixture, thinking it was wide enough to fit 2x36 watt (i had spare parts) apparently, they use a wider housing for the dual 36 watt fixtures. So, the retro was rather hard.

The first thing I did was took it apart. That way I got to see all the goodies. I assume they are all built the same way.

I just bought one to replace my homade wood hood, which is nice, but it doesn't let the tank cool well and it's a pain(impossible) to work in the tank with the lights on. So I picked one up , but will be putting my 10K bulb and reflector in and use the 6,5K as an backup. Also I may hang it from picture cable instead of using the legs.

Von. What are your thoughts on the legs it comes with?

The legs work. No doubt about it. Nothing really special, but they are kinda hard to slide up and down. You can look in my gallery and see how tall the legs are http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showgalle...500&ppuser=4463.

Tony, you may have a hard time with the reflector. There really isn't very much room. Anyways, the mylar does a pretty good job. Mylar is like 95% reflective or something.

Von. That is a sharp looking fixture. Are running the 6500K bulbs in that? If so they look nice and bright white.

Yeah I looked at the spects and I don't think my reflector will fit, but it doesn't matter since the mylar is 95% reflective. Hmmm... Anyone want to buy a custom made wood hood?:D

I'm still using the 6500k bulb, but I added an actinic so it looks crisper. The stock bulb's color isn't bad. You can always upgrade to a 10000k down the road when the bulbs die out (they don't last long anyways, the reason I hate dealing with power compacts).

You could try posting your wooden hood in the classified section and see if there are any takers.

holyherbiness

haha beazley, i absolutely hate how sometimes they seem to be ignorant and you have to ask them the question twice or more to receive a proper response.

So what size aquarium would you be able to use the 12" fixture on? And is the 12" fixture really 12" long or is that just the length of the bulbs? Sorry these are probably lame questions!

Thank You

Archived