Top Shelf Aquatics

Aqua Lab Aquaria's Photo Dump, misc projects

kentmoney

I hadn't seen that design before, thanks for showing me. However, I'm trying to avoid the need to create an external box because it's just another failure point and its bulky.

I found this and liked it a lot and may combine attributes of this with the glassholes design.

Wow!! What are the specs of this little tank??? Maintenance? All of your work is incredible, but this tank... Unreal

10g AIO design. It overflows directly into the first chamber where chaeto resides at the top with a magnetic LED fuge light mounted on the back. Below this, out of the lights intensity, is rock rubble that has become encrusted with sponges and other cyptic fauna like feather dusters. I occasionally take this out and remove all the mulm and debris. This water then passes through a bubble trap to the return pump which goes through a SCWD and then alternates between nozzles back to the display. The heater is in this chamber too.

Like I said, at this point I'm just doing weekly to bi weekly water changes. The kids feed every day, and I've fed very heavily throughout the life of the tank. Reef nutrition live plankton, ROE, and particulate coral food like freeze dried planktons. I occasionally squirt some alk and ca but I havn't been testing. I've let it go on autopilot while I plan these upgrades. It has changed a bit, and I did have a strange case of RTN on my beautiful bali slimer possibly related to alk fluctuations.

I've dosed prodibio randomly 2-3 times throughout it's life but I didn't do a controlled study on its efficacy.

I hadn't seen that design before, thanks for showing me. However, I'm trying to avoid the need to create an external box because it's just another failure point and its bulky.

I found http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1601881'>this and liked it a lot and may combine attributes of this with the glassholes design.

10g AIO design. It overflows directly into the first chamber where chaeto resides at the top with a magnetic LED fuge light mounted on the back. Below this, out of the lights intensity, is rock rubble that has become encrusted with sponges and other cyptic fauna like feather dusters. I occasionally take this out and remove all the mulm and debris. This water then passes through a bubble trap to the return pump which goes through a SCWD and then alternates between nozzles back to the display. The heater is in this chamber too.

Like I said, at this point I'm just doing weekly to bi weekly water changes. The kids feed every day, and I've fed very heavily throughout the life of the tank. Reef nutrition live plankton, ROE, and particulate coral food like freeze dried planktons. I occasionally squirt some alk and ca but I havn't been testing. I've let it go on autopilot while I plan these upgrades. It has changed a bit, and I did have a strange case of RTN on my beautiful bali slimer possibly related to alk fluctuations.

I've dosed prodibio randomly 2-3 times throughout it's life but I didn't do a controlled study on its efficacy.

Wow, so simple! What did you make the AIO out of?

Also Montessori schools rock. Is this In a Montessori class or no?

So flipping cool! I will have to come se your studio some time.

please do!

Wow, so simple! What did you make the AIO out of? Also Montessori schools rock. Is this In a Montessori class or no?

The AIO is your standard 10g glass aquarium and I used a custom acrylic partition. I wonder if I should mfg the partition that accomodates a SCWD and if people would get it...hmm

Yup, in a Montessori classroom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of updates. I recently finished a little project I wanted to post. I built a little CP bog scape in a 5g rimless. This will be going in my folks house, so I kept it simple and easy to maintain.

I'm in the process of building a SwampTroll(er), my skunkworks bog controller. Hoping to make it wirelessly controlled, power and time the LEDs and fogger, and will have a programmed 'dormancy mode' which reduces the fogger and shortens the photoperiod for the north american CPs.

UyHyu8W.jpg

Q0moOtO.jpg

MuzTJTB.jpg

AHEir4v.jpg

dbfuK70.jpg

lVNPm2G.jpg

Hey. I feed them all sorts of stuff I find around the studio. Spiders, large and small flies, silverfish, whatever. :)

I want to start some cultures soon, but for now it's just photosynthesis and the occasional treat. I have experimented with mild organic fertilizer in some of the pitchers too. I once fed a grasshopper that died in my ATO reservoir to a cobra lilly. There was an explosion of growth.

They're like coral in a lot of ways. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a few updates from here and there.

Last shot of the planted before it went to its new home. Excited to experiment with some new layouts and techniques.

Fog3RZG.jpg

Gettin' set-up in it's new home.

3YBpqId.jpg

What do you guys think of this scape? This was done for a 50g cube. I used the rock that the client had already and tried to make the most of it. It was manmade stuff, pretty dense, but I'm still happy with how it turned out.

Before:

PrAdL9b.jpg

After:

1YwaCgQ.jpg

nj81mxT.jpg

I also had a bunch of tonga rock lying around. This stuff can be tricky to integrate with other common rocks, so I started trying to create a tonga-only scape. I built this tonga sculpture and I think it lends itself to that "bonsai" style preferred by some. Might end up using this for a funky nano or something

l7X1oix.jpg

Here is another orientation in a different tank.

ZxsW9j3.jpg

Lil shot of the porcelain and Yasha Hashe in the Xenia Forest Nano.

L381gTX.jpg

And finally, I leave you with some CNC action. Will hopefully be posting an update on my 120g farming system soon. :)

v3yBBSX.jpg

very cool stuff you got going on in here, especially the themed saltwater tanks your doing, like the xenia forest nano. You don't see many coral specific aquariums although they are very interesting in most cases.

Thanks a lot man. I hopped over to your build and really liked what I saw too! That stand looks great with the contrasting doors, and I'm a big fan of having table top around the aquarium myself. I also like your aquascaping concept and you definitely hit it right on the head with replicating the substrate and hardscape of a planted tank.

Good stuff!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates but I did want to throw up some new pictures of what we've been doing.

I recently relocated the business from Mountain View to downtown Willow Glen in San Jose so as you can imagine it's kept me busy.

I did get a chance to do some more product development and I am currently in the process of getting a prototype on display at TechShop in San Jose.

Hope to report back soon with more pictures.

At the shop

0OBO39t.jpg

Success is so much sweeter with a struggle!

CteA3U0.jpg

SlimFlow Alpha complete

aJ6S9Kb.jpg

Installed on tank

Nb5225h.jpg

QdGsECe.jpg

Here is a little eye candy from two tanks. One was a tank I was babysitting, it was started by a student of mine and his father. They're doing great now!

VSQrizr.jpg

And a nano planted I made for a client

WE8JcQd.jpg

Archived