Pod Your Reef

Do I Overfeed?

Eisernes

I feed two frozen squares soaked in selcon daily, reef roids 2x week, algae sheets daily, and flake food pinch after main display lights go off, and feed my elegances and cynarina silversides weekly. Needless to say I feed heavily. I dry skim, maintain macro in the sump, weekly water changes, gravel vac top layer of sand, run a filter sock, and vac my sump monthly. Corals and fish grow quickly and the extra food maintains overall health. Take out as much of you put in and you can feed heavy.

You have to live with the GHA for a while until the tank balances with the extra food. You've only been setup since January and a tank really doesn't get in the groove until around a year.

I would not worry about hair algae at your stage, other than to remove it or get something to eat it.

I feed once a day, a cube of mysis and brine. Sometimes if I'm in too much of a hurry i just do a pinch of flakes and maybe some pellets.

Before I was feeding twice a day the same amount, mind you I have 4 anthias, "had" a blue tang, pair of mandarins, pair of clowns, yasha, gramma, blenny and diamond goby.

I'm pretty stocked and they eat everything.

That's not accurate. I left out the part where I'm feeding flake every day.

So I guess what I'm reading here is the feeding isn't the problem it's the filtration. I do have a little bit of GHA. Not alot but its existence tells me there are excess nutrients. I use a curve 5 skimmer and run BP's through a modified phosban reactor that I don't think tumbles enough. I will be replacing it soon with a proper reactor. I also ordered some micobr lift niteout II to help diversify by bacteria population.

Well, you can have an excessively large a bio load in a tank that makes it difficult to export enough, fast enough. But usually, it's just a matter of doing enough export, frequently enough to counteract the amount of food entering the system.

I manage with just WCs and vacuuming, but other methods exist, too.

Archived