Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mystery coral (PIC)

ricky1414

This guy came in on a rock with gsp on it. LFS was not sure of name, they said it appears to be a LPS...X) Can you guys give me an id on this bad boy?

It kinda looks like a fuzzy brain, but I know its not. When the polyps are retracted, It has a sort of maze-like look to it.

xien2000corp

might be hydnophora rigida. if it is make sure to keep it as far away from anything as posible. itll sting the heck out of anything it comes into contact with.

-steve

Yeah, found out he is a Hydnophora rigida. Thank god there is no way he can fall over, he's permanently attached to the LR that the GSPs came on. Nice color though. Need to keep the sps away. BTW, do Hydnophora have sweepers? Didn't see any come out the past few nights, and I don't want to have him try to take a taste of his neighbors. X)

xien2000corp

ive read that yes they do have sweepers but im like you, ive never seen them. just to be safe i would keep a 6" area around him free of other corals. a buddy of mine just yanks it out of his tank cuz its such a nuisance to his sps tank.

it IS a beautiful specimen though! good luck :)

-steve

Archived