inTank Media Baskets

Question for Chiller Owners

jgaepi

When I started up my BC14, the water was getting too hot. So then I added a fan and was loosing too much water. So I bought an ATO. But then my wife complain the fan was too loud. So I bought a chiller. Now I notice I am barely losing any water at all. It takes about a week just to get to the ATO line. So my question is, was it the fan that was evaporating water and is an ATO really necessary now?

Also, still being a noob, after running the fan/ATO for 2 weeks and now the chiller for about 10 days, I finally checked my salinity level and it was down to 1.020. Pretty surprised cause the ATO didn't pull more than about 1g of RO water in total. Wonder what the cause of the salinity drop was?

What are you testing the salinity with? Most hydrometers aren't very accurate or could need calibration if you are using a refractometer. Salt creep will drop the salinity over time but that seems like too short of period.

Most likely the increased airflow was the cause of the evaporation. When I run the ceiling fan which is above my main tank, my evaporation goes from about a half gallon a day to 2 or 3 gallons a day. But, I would definitely keep the ATO on the tank, just to keep the salinity as stable as possible and reduce the routine topoffs you would need to do yourself.

Archived