Top Shelf Aquatics

28W PC Enough for a 10gallon?

HeyImEugene

HeyImEugene

I just ordered a 28w PowerCompact from Coralife for 34.95 + shipping... just curious.. will it be enough for a 10 gallon? I just have some live rocks and plan on adding some polyps and stuff later. Maybe an anenome too... need some input please, thanks.

I'd say it's a little light (no pun intended). Definately not enough for an anything other than shrooms or zoo's. Try to at least double it. Is the 28 lamp white light or 50/50. If you bought a 50/50 get another. If white try adding another 28 watts of Actinic.

Need to at least double that lighting. The only anymone that you mght be able to keep is a bubble tip anemone if you double the lighting. You might not be able to get shrroms and other corals because bubble tip anemones grow fast, move around the tank when ever they feel like it and sting other corals.

saltwater-rookie

I am currently running a coralife 28 watt on my 10gal and have1 mushroom rock w/ 5 on it, and another w/ 21 on it. A small xenia frag, and some polyps. I also have an Condy anenome, he is doing great and doesn't move around to much, he attached to a piece of rock, and just chills. But if you can afford it get more watts, becuase eventually you are wanna keep corals that require better lighting. (you may not think so now, but just wait...lol)

ROOKIE

I wouldn't cancel...just order another or instead of running 2 x 50/50 get 1 x 10,000k and 1 x Actinic. That way you can run the lights on seperate timers for a cool moonlight effect.

2muchreef4u

you're fine with just mushrooms. i've kept a mushroom only LR tank in a 10g for 6 years with no prob. it only had 2x13 watt CSL PC's & skilter (note this was in the early to mid 90's).

You will will get much better growth with more light. if you just want to scrape by, then you will be okay. go with 2x28 at least.

HeyImEugene

Okay thanks for all the info! I have cancelled my order and decided to convert my 29 gallon to a reef tank. So I'll be investing in much more powerfull lights now :) How many watts per gallon am I going to need on a 29 gallon to have an anenome?

holyherbiness
Originally posted by HeyImEugene

How many watts per gallon am I going to need on a 29 gallon to have an anenome?

Watts per gallon is a very ineffective way of judging the lighting needs of corals, anemones, etc. It's all about intensity and distance away from the lighting source.

The lighting needs of various anemones differ, so wait for more responses from others on this forum.

I went to drsfostersmith and ordered the 2x36 watt power compact fixture for my 10 gallon for about 37 dollars, which I feel is a great deal. However, I had to buy a 36 watt actinic lamp to add some blue to the tank, so totally, my 72 watt setup will have cost me about 55 dollars.

Archived