inTank Media Baskets

Fish or not to fish?

myfisharemean

myfisharemean

I'm in Cali right now, and my tank back in VA is cycling right now. Anyway, Mandarins are really cool, and I've read that they are pretty hardy, and wanted input from people that actually have them. It's a 10 hex, and I'm gonna get lots of light, and some zoo's and stuff. I know the mandarin will mess the balance of my tank when i get my inverts, but how much could 1 mandarin upset my tank.

myfish,

From what I have read and heard, mandarins need a much bigger tank. Some members here have pulled it off, some by luck, others by an ENOURMOUS amount of work! If you can get them to eat alternative food sources, then you might be able to make it work. But copepod (a primary natural food source for mandarins) populations in your tank could change suddenly without your knowledge and your little buddy would die.

Their is a very lengthy thread entitled 'Mandarin code cracked' or something like that on this site that will give you lots of info as well as some people to contact about their experiences with them.

All in all, it seems like a pretty big gamble in my opinion. I have heard several individuals state they (mandarins) need a big tank--like 75 gallons big. But as some people on this site have proved, many things are possible if you have the time, energy and dollars to invest in your hobby.

Hope this helps,

Superdave

myfisharemean

thanks, ya, i saw somewhere else before i posted that they need big tanks, and saw one at the Scripps aquarium in a probably 120 cube, and he was chillin in an open clam. I thought he was REALLY cool looking, and i saw like 3 or 4 at my LFS (fishsafari.com) in one tank, so i thought i might be able to! But these people are really good. They have a cool grown queen trigger, it's like the stores pet, and lionfish and stuff for sale in their 20 gal selling tanks. I check out that other post you were telling me about. thanks a lot -Matt

Archived