Top Shelf Aquatics

Cchsoracle's Pico-Reef Jarquarium

D Z

• 2 weeks later...

Really interesting project. How are you keeping the temperature set in it?

I was just hoping that the ambient room temperature would suffice.

Unfortunately, I hate to have to say this, but my jar was pretty much a failure. I lost my shrooms, favia is all but dead, and the xenia frag didn't make it. All that is left right now is the zoas, but they haven't really even been open lately. I attribute it to the use of dry rock. I'm just leaving it be for now, but will possibly start fresh with it and use quality, fully cured live rock sometime in the future. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it has been quite a while since I have updated this thread. Pretty much, it was a failure. I blame it on the use of dry rock, which was pretty much just a dumb idea on my part. The good news is, I was finally getting around to breaking down my 8 gallon over the weekend, and just took some of the live rock from that to restart the jarquarium! So far, it is nothing but sand, LR, a barnacle cluster, and some bryopsis that was growing in the nuvo. I decided to bring over the bryopsis to see what it would do as I really don't have anything else to put in here for now.

The plan is to just let it go and see what happens. I'll probably try to add a couple snails in another week or so. As my coral in the 34G grows, I may start to cut frags to bring in for the jar, but well see. I'm going for a very natural looking scape, which the LR and bryopsis give me for now.

Now, the only other issue I have is I transferred everything into the jar on Saturday, but just left it in my garage on my workbench until I came into work today. I hadn't even really thought about it, but it has been a little cold in Orlando lately, and the temp in my garage was probably in the upper 60s and the jar had no heater or light for 3 days. When I took the lid off at work this morning, I noticed it had a bit of a smell inside the tank. Hoping I didn't kill off all the bacteria in the tank, but I guess we will just see what happens.

15414270144_8aa57cd104_k.jpg20141216_113311 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/pukYde'>15416963773_912e04ecf0_k.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pukYde'>20141216_114355 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a couple weeks of just sitting, the bryopsis and some GHA have really take hold. It is looking quite...natural... in there. I decided it was time for a 100% water and time to introduce a hermit and a couple ceriths and let them have a smorgasbord. I may be picking up a bunch of zoas from another member on here this weekend, so maybe I will put a couple in here. Lets see how the hermit and snails do for now...

https://flic.kr/p/qvAYz6'>16087564927_d17a4ab3fa_k.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qvAYz6'>20150113_121449 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

What's up guys and gals....So today I noticed that the cheapo little par bulb that I have been using for this was dimmer that usual. And it appears to be slowly becoming more dim, so time to think about what to replace it with. I am getting a nice frag pack of zoas from ReefKid later this weekend and plan to bring a couple of them in to work for the jarquarium. Therefore, I decided to go with the Coral Compulsion PAR16 Actinic bulb. It should provide all kinds of POP for the zoas! I'm excited!

What's up guys and gals....So today I noticed that the cheapo little par bulb that I have been using for this was dimmer that usual. And it appears to be slowly becoming more dim, so time to think about what to replace it with. I am getting a nice frag pack of zoas from ReefKid later this weekend and plan to bring a couple of them in to work for the jarquarium. Therefore, I decided to go with the Coral Compulsion PAR16 Actinic bulb. It should provide all kinds of POP for the zoas! I'm excited!

Please do let us know how that comes out!! I'd love to set up a bright little zoa jar for my desk. Was considering that or the 22K PAR 30 if I decide to set one up. Wasn't sure the actinic would be powerful enough for a little jar so it will be really cool if it works for you.

Got the new bulb. Did a water change and re scapped a bit. Got rid of the rock that had the bryopsis attached. Tester Zoa tomorrow.....

The new bulb is nice! 100% going to work well for this application. The only problem I think I may have is photographing the jar. My phone does not handle LED very well....

15711643794_a79ce60393_b.jpg20150121_104423 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

• 2 months later...

So this little jar has gone through a couple changes. I had almost given up on it at one point. I brought in a zoa frag from my other tank and it did not do so well. It was closed up for probably a couple weeks. I was about to give up, but decided to try one more thing. I removed the aqua lifter and tried an air pump/stone instead. I could tell almost right away that it was an improvement. There was more water movement in the tank. After the initial storm cleared, the tank seemed more clear.

Then, I just let things go for a while. I have been doing a WC every 2 weeks or so. It took a while, but last week the zoa frag finally opened back up again! It had been consistently been opening for the majority of the day for at least a week now, so I figured the tank was doing better and time for a couple more frags! I did a full WC this morning and then added 2 more zoa frags and some red macro algae from home. I still have trouble photographing this thing due to the actinic par bulb, but this should give you a good idea. Let me know what you think.

16748942228_ea5622c355_h.jpg2015-03-26_10-36-23 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Hmmm... Now where to put a random jar in my house... :P

Definitely awesome! How much was the bulb?

Man, do it! Little jars like this are so easy if you do it the right way. Learn from my mistakes:

1) Use good quality cured live rock. Do not be tempted like I was to go with dry rock

2) Use an air stone! The aqua lifter didn't work well for me. I didn't actually test for it, but my assumption is my ph was probably really low, especially since I have this at work in a building that gets almost no outside air.

3) Keep it simple. I am not using a heater or any other equipment other than the light and air pump. Obviously you have to be smart with what you chose to stock it with, but other than that have fun!

The bulb was $20. It is the Coral Compulsion 3W actinic Par16. http://coralcompulsion.com/led/PAR-BULBS/PAR16-ACTINIC

And I just put it in a cheapo desk lamp I got off Amazon.

I do have some heat fluctuations in the house, do you think one of those betta heater mats would work? Also is the two week water change doing good for you? I am thinking (depending on how it goes) a couple sexy shrimp would be fun in there. Or do you think thats too ambitious? Lol

I'm bathing a 47 oz pickle jar right now. Husband isn't entirely sold on the idea, but I'm going ahead with it. it'll be a good baby and mom project lol. Or at least, thats what I'm telling myself I'm doing this for lol. I'm going to cut the center piece of the jar lid and replace it with acrylic to give it a clear top and for tubing to run in and out of.

I've never used an air stone or air pump before, what are you using?

47 oz = .3 gallon, that's tiny. My jar is just shy of 1 gallon I believe. I got it at TJMax for like $10 I think. Sounds like a fun baby and mom project. Maybe I should start another one for in my 5 month old's nursery at home....my wife is gonna kill me. I'm blaming you!LOL :lol:

$9 Tetra Whisper air pump:

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77851-Whisper-Pump-10-Gallon/dp/B0009YJ4N6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427395725&sr=8-2&keywords=air+pump

Any Air stone should work fine. I think I ordered these off Amazon along with the pump.

http://www.amazon.com/1-inch-Mineral-Release-Aquarium-Airstone/dp/B00CQGXBJ8/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=033D3F007NWV0HCZYC9E

How quiet is the air pump? I was thinking of having it on my night stand.

I tried looking up gallon jars and couldn't find anything I liked. Then I remembered my pickle jar from my pregnancy days :P Smaller, but we'll see how it goes. I've thought of maybe taking a canning jar and linking the two using the smaller canning jar as a filter/refugium. But one step at a time. I told my husband I'd keep the initial set up under $40 :P Until I can order the light, I think I'm going to use my JBJ nano glo light to use during the cycle and just order the airstone/pump for now.

It is pretty quiet. It is in my office at work and I have become accustomed to hearing it. I don't know how I would like it on my nightstand, though. If you like background white noise while you sleep, then you may not mind it.

Interesting idea on using the canning jar as a fuge....how would you go about linking them?

Well my husband likes white noise so he might not mind. Me on the other hand... lol. We will see how it works out.

I don't know yet. I was thinking of somehow gravity feeding the large to the smaller and then some kind of pump... I don't know. Its still rather mushy in my head. But if it could work, then i would be pretty confident in the pico living a very long shelf life.

• 7 months later...

Hey DZ just found this topic and is very interesting. How is the Jarquarium? Do you still have it?

I do still have it sitting on my desk at work, but there is no live stock in it currently. I found it hard to keep up with at work.

Archived