Top Shelf Aquatics

New reg 29g with some old equipment.

pheonix_ct

So I started this new project because I needed a hobby again. I found a new 29g with stand for really cheap on craigslist. Tank was new stand was well....It was a minimalist stand. I should have asked for pics before but oh well.

Current FTS:

Stand as bought:

20140808_160016_zps31bd37ec.jpg

I went to homedepot and bout $36 worth of wood and made the stand into this:

df7eb907-bca4-4ef8-bb63-52925aa552d8_zps

I'm no wood worker but for the price I paid for supplies the stand is now acceptable. It has since been sanded stained and looks even better.

I already have the following from old aquariums.

Heater

eshopps Skimmer

HOB filter that Im using temporarily

power head

sunpod 250w MH

I got everything out and checked it and everything worked except for the skimmer. When I plugged the pump to the skimmer in, it started to swell and morph. So Ill either have to find another pump or get a new skimmer.

So whats in it now.

13lbs of live rock

Soon to be 25lbs of dry rock

40lbs of sand

I had a hanger kit for the light. It attaches to the stand and arches over the aquarium. Only problem is that the bars are 12.5 inches from front to back meaning the light sits centered over the front glass of the aquarium. I sanded the bars down to bare metal, cut them to the right length and painted them. Then put eye hooks in the bars. I then had to drill a hole in the sunpod and put eye hooks in it as well.

Light when first installed(~9" above top of aquarium)Please ignore how all the equipment is just thrown in there:

20140822_173327_zps1f4650ff.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic but only one I have now. The light is now right around 7" from the water. Temp rise is a measly 1.5 degrees and this was during some of our hottest days this summer in sc. Temps over 100 outside. I cant really move the light much closer. If I do I will get some very dark spots on the sides due to the tank being 30" wide.

Thats about it for now. I just want a place to keep track of everything I'm doing.

Archived