inTank Media Baskets

Unknown Anemone?!?

PetCrazy

I recently purchased a large live rock with two different species button polyps on it (as well as a little mushroom I didn't notice prior to purchase, oh well...the more the merrier).

After placing the new corals in the tank (No worries, I acclimatized) and leaving the corals alone to settle down, I came back to see this odd little creature in the tank

Anemone_ID.jpg

(Not my photo btw, I found it on a website where they were discussing an entirely different species of anemone)

It's a little more robust and even throughout rather than thin then thick...if you know what I mean. But it's pretty identical otherwise...

Does anyone know what it is? I've looked on a few websites, and I'll start checking my books now (I've just got in from work and noticed the thing has moved from the original rock onto one of my other rocks....so I haven't had a chance to research much yet.)

Is it something I should be worried about and remove? Or place in a quarantine tank?

It's approximately the size of a nickel.

Any ideas?

EtOH_is_good

does it glow under actinic? size would be right for majano. look at my pic with the dreaded majano in the middle of my zoanthid rock.

Similar shape yes...but when I turned off one of my lights and only turned on the actinic bulb..it didn't seem to glow, particularly not like that at all.

Nice photo's btw

Doesn't look like the other ones I had before and juiced...are there different types? Hm, alrighty then..away it goes.

It's a shame, it seems so interesting...

Though it doesn't retreat when I make contact with it, it may recede it's tentacles a bit, but otherwise it stays out on it's own.

EtOH_is_good

if it's not bothering anything leave it. id only worry if it crawled of into a nook that i couldnt drop some joe's juice on it. my majano definately had nice glow to it when actinics were on, so it may be something else.

Why is everyone around here so quick to kill any small anemone that they can't identify? "I don't know what it is, so it must be Aiptasia or Majano... KILL IT NOW!"

I think it's kind of pretty... enjoy the diversity, wait to see what it grows into. I'd kill for random stuff like that to show up in my tank.

Archived