Cultivated Reef

How fast and how much should I ramp up my LED fixture?

Sailfish

I will say that you will need to adjust your intensity and distance based on your light and your animals reaction to the light.

Without a PAR meter with waterproof probe, you need to use your eyes. I dont have a PAR meter, you can rent one from here...

https://reefledlights.com/shop/par-meter-rental/

Re diffusion screen material. Choose what you like best. It hardly critical. I just used some 600 grit sandpaper to make mine so far, with good results (not pro quality). The one I linked has a high transmission efficiency, they have all kinds of different types. Its a German company, I would believe their numbers are accurate. They will cut to size, btw.

Yes, of course. I was thinking as a thought intensity level to work up to. If the corals react negatively, I will back down. ;)

Nice.I will definitely try and get some of that diffusion film! Thanks for the tip :)

So the white LEDs still produce the most PUR, although they also produce more unwanted radiation that algae thrive on?

in my experience there are no unwanted wavelengths within the visible spectrum of light.

While blue and violet are certainly major photosynthetic peaks there are others across the spectrum.

Without red wavelengths corals will experience color shifts such as reds turning orange.

And without the yellow/green part of the spectrum the light would appear very dim to our eyes.

Unwanted simple algae may thrive under such light but only if you're letting other parameters become ideal for such things.

Archived