Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jebao RW-4

rocksmom

I guess this isn't quite a full review, more reference for anyone interested in the size or flow. I will answer any questions that I can.

We bought this for my husband's 12 gallon nanocube, but in the video it is in my 5 gallon PicO. When the video starts it is in else mode, and then I change it to wave mode (w1). I'm a little confused at this point between the purpose of the speed button versus the knob, but for reference the speed lights were all lit up and the knob is set around 75%.

https://flic.kr/p/oNeczw

And a photo next to a soda can for size reference:

14799348918_73b2b7b350_c.jpgDSC00404 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Honestly after just playing around with it for a little bit I really liked it. The look and shape of it make it feel much more compact than the koralia nanos IMO. I would have no problem running this in my tank and selling the MP10 I got if my tank's lid didn't interfere with the cord. I may still do that down the line and modify my lid as this pump was dead silent, whereas my new MP10 already makes a slight "whistling" sound.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angel<3Nanos

I guess this isn't quite a full review, more reference for anyone interested in the size or flow. I will answer any questions that I can.

We bought this for my husband's 12 gallon nanocube, but in the video it is in my 5 gallon PicO. When the video starts it is in else mode, and then I change it to wave mode (w1). I'm a little confused at this point between the purpose of the speed button versus the knob, but for reference the speed lights were all lit up and the knob is set around 75%.

https://flic.kr/p/oNeczw]https://flic.kr/p/oNeczw[/url]

And a photo next to a soda can for size reference:

https://flic.kr/p/oxLwQf]14799348918_73b2b7b350_c.jpg[/url]https://flic.kr/p/oxLwQf]DSC00404[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/people/126988861@N05/]rocksmom9[/url], on Flickr

Honestly after just playing around with it for a little bit I really liked it. The look and shape of it make it feel much more compact than the koralia nanos IMO. I would have no problem running this in my tank and selling the MP10 I got if my tank's lid didn't interfere with the cord. I may still do that down the line and modify my lid as this pump was dead silent, whereas my new MP10 already makes a slight "whistling" sound.

How was the flow inside the 5g? Do you think its too much? Or just fine? :)

How was the flow inside the 5g? Do you think its too much? Or just fine? :)

I think you would definitely have a sandstorm at the settings I had it on. On a lower setting or with a bb I think it would work well. You should be able to see in the video some particles flying around in the water column to give you an idea of the actual flow. I know it's hard to tell with nothing in the tank besides rock. Sorry!

Angel<3Nanos

I think you would definitely have a sandstorm at the settings I had it on. On a lower setting or with a bb I think it would work well. You should be able to see in the video some particles flying around in the water column to give you an idea of the actual flow. I know it's hard to tell with nothing in the tank besides rock. Sorry!

Lol yeah that's why I asked. It kinda looks too much for my 5g. :)

Tried to put this in a 12 gallon nanocube yesterday and couldn't get it to not blow sand around. I had it on the lowest speed setting in else mode. Tried higher, lower, aimed up, aimed at the front glass. YMMV, just a word of caution for those considering it for small tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go with a 90P instead of the 25g and still kept the same RW-4's. These suckers are pretty damn powerful for their size. I can't push 2 of them past 70% in W1 master/slave because water comes flying out the sides.

Else mode is completely random up to 100%.. no percentage control.. only way to do that is to get a lower voltage power supply or put a dimmer on your power supply. Most likely will go bare bottom on my new tank because of this.. I bought 3 RW-8's thinking Else mode worked like a Vortech's Reef mode.. wanted a shallow bed, but we will see..

How do you sync 2 of these wireless? Is there a controller you buy separately?

Or do these already come with one?

They come with one (each), and you can set it on the controllers which is the master and which is slave. Pretty sure its been covered multiple times and was in the original holy shit these compare to a vortech (but not really) thread :) lol

Else mode is completely random up to 100%.. no percentage control.. only way to do that is to get a lower voltage power supply or put a dimmer on your power supply. Most likely will go bare bottom on my new tank because of this.. I bought 3 RW-8's thinking Else mode worked like a Vortech's Reef mode.. wanted a shallow bed, but we will see..

You can set the speed (which lights up, and requires you to push the speed button) to adjust the actual max speed... the knob controls how fast it changes. Atleast thats what they claim, if yours doesn't do that maybe you have a defective controller lol

They come with one (each), and you can set it on the controllers which is the master and which is slave. Pretty sure its been covered multiple times and was in the original holy shit these compare to a vortech (but not really) thread :) lol

Guess I must have missed that thread.

But for the difference in price between the 2, I'm willing to roll the dice and take a chance on them.

You can set the speed (which lights up, and requires you to push the speed button) to adjust the actual max speed... the knob controls how fast it changes. Atleast thats what they claim, if yours doesn't do that maybe you have a defective controller lol

I know you can, but google "Jebao else mode" and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a design flaw in their controller. All other modes work fine with speed adjustment.

I know you can, but google "Jebao else mode" and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a design flaw in their controller. All other modes work fine with speed adjustment.

Sometimes ya just get what ya pay for I guess.

Huh, thanks for clearing that up for me too. I haven't played with it much since I initially got it and still wasn't sure what the difference was.

If you have an Apex controller (with the VDM module), you can bypass the built-in controller and have almost limitless control. I wouldn't buy a controller just for this - but if you already have one - you're all set. That's what I did.

I'm really interested in picking up 2 RW-8s for my 35 long

Way too much power. I have 2 RW-4's on a 50g and I can't go past 70% or I'm mopping up water on the floor. If you get those you would have to turn the power way down.

Way too much power. I have 2 RW-4's on a 50g and I can't go past 70% or I'm mopping up water on the floor. If you get those you would have to turn the power way down.

Really?? I thought it wouldn't be enough. Thanks for the heads up, it's a rimless and I don't want puddles lol

I agree I picked up an rw8 for my 34g cad tank a while back and it was way to big and to much power for sure. I just picked up 2x rw15 for my 125g 72"long and am worried it might be to much. Pretty powerful lil pumps

So, maybe two rw-4s on my tank set to one of the lower settings? Maybe one at either end to spread out the flow even more? It's 36in long

Yeah that would be fine. I think Jebao underrates the flow of the RW.

I just got an RW-4 for my 15G long, tested it in my 10L mixing container and I'm a bit worried that the flow might be too much. Anybody have the rw-4 in a 15G? what settings do you have it on?

I just got an RW-4 for my 15G long, tested it in my 10L mixing container and I'm a bit worried that the flow might be too much. Anybody have the rw-4 in a 15G? what settings do you have it on?

W1 will for sure make a sandstorm unless you turn down the pulse with the knob to low and keep it at around 1-2 lights on the power. If you run it in H mode you should be fine all the time. It also helps to angle the jet upward plus you will get great surface agitation.

W1 will for sure make a sandstorm unless you turn down the pulse with the knob to low and keep it at around 1-2 lights on the power. If you run it in H mode you should be fine all the time. It also helps to angle the jet upward plus you will get great surface agitation.

Thanks...will try this tomorrow, another problem is I already have an AC110 giving additional flow to the tank but we'll see after I test this on the lowest settings tomorrow

Archived