inTank Media Baskets

Cabbage Leather Q?

jfumia

hey i have a quick question, do cabbage leathers "open up" and expand in size. mine stay the same size and stick their little polyps around the edges out. I have it at the top of the tank woth a powerhead right next to it. do you think there is too much current? or does it sond like it doing just fine?

Thanks

Jeremy

They really do not open much. You will get polyp extension but that is about it. You may have a little too much current though as they do not like it direct.

Otherwise all sounds good, Cameron

Gotta insert the "however"...

At times, they shrink and start to look kind of slimy/shiny. Don't worry when this happens -- I know I dang near freaked the first time I saw it -- they're shedding an outermost layer of "skin" so they can grow more. Within a day or two, it'll be back to normal. I've noticed that when I feed mine, it does this more often. I feed it Kent Microvert and Phytoplex, once a week each, by squirting some right around the fringies. When I quit feeding it directly for a while to see if it really was the feeding that was helping it grow, it stopped growing as fast.

Archived