Cultivated Reef

Safe place for ballast mounting on 10 gallon

kelp

Just got my 2 x 36 watt bright kit from Ahsupply and was just wondering where people generally mount their ballasts?  I plan on doing some canopy work tomorrow and was looking at this from strictly a saftey standpoint.

do not put it in your canopy.

It will generate unneeded heat there, make your canopy heavy, and be cumbersome Mount it in a steel box and set it on the floor away from possible spills and drips.

HTH,

Toy

I origianlly mounted my ballast for the 2x36 inside te canopy and there definately was excess heat, plus the ballsat is exposed to the heat of the bulbs.  I ended up mounting it on the outside/back of the canopy.  

If you can mount it remotely it would be the best choice.

Guy

Quote: from Guy on 9:35 am on July 4, 2002[br]I origianlly mounted my ballast for the 2x36 inside te canopy and there definately was excess heat, plus the ballsat is exposed to the heat of the bulbs.  I ended up mounting it on the outside/back of the canopy.  

If you can mount it remotely it would be the best choice.

Guy

same here.

Christopher Marks

If you can find someone to do the wiring, it would be best to have them remote from the whole tank and open water, such as in the stand or behind the tank, or on the floor.  And sauder all connections and tape them for a bit more 'security'.

wiring it isnt that hard. all you need are more wires and those screws to extend the wires from the ballast to the end caps. plus the end cable is long, should be long if you bought them from ahsupply. if you can wire the ballast then you can definitely extend the wires to the end caps.

Archived