Coral Vue Hydros

Frozen Food...good or bad?

TheTikiGecko

The only thing I dont like with cubes is tearing the foil on the adjacent cube.

Its going to get freezer burn if I dont feed/use it now.

The PE Mysis package is worse than the Hikari brand package.

And that's exactly why I like this "elive" brand. I always ripped other squares when trying to pop out just one, and some of those brands are worse to 'pop out' than others with either super thin foil that easily rips all over the place or super industrial strength foil where you're pushing and pushing and thinking 'what the heck is this stuff made of??!!?' because it refuses to budge.

I feed frozen cubes a little per day and put back in the refrigerator. Less waste and it lasts in the refrigerator up to 5 days with no issues.

reefernanoman

I have been rinsing my mysis because I saw an expert say that he gets way less algea when he does. It was Mike Paletta. But it was mentioned here that it doesn't matter?

A lot of foods are enriched with vitamins that will dissolve in water so rinsing the food can rinse out those nutrients as well as oils. This also means your fish are not getting these nutrients either.

New Life Spectrum is made from grain and carrots, ans stuff.

It smells like dry dog food. And it floats just as good a flakes. Then floats right on out the overflow.

Hikari Marine S smells like fish food. And sinks faster.

Frozen is good, as long as you thaw it out first.

I have been rinsing my mysis because I saw an expert say that he gets way less algea when he does. It was Mike Paletta. But it was mentioned here that it doesn't matter?

I want all that shrimp juice. My corals love it., it is perfect SPS food.

Its full of amino acids and broken down proteins, that are more easily abdorbed across coral outer membranes.

If he is getting crap algae from feeding protein based foods, something is wrong. He needs better filtration, a bigger skimmer, and he definitely needs to get rid of his stupid crap catching mud hole.

Hikari and PEMysis could bottle that shrimp juice, Than Thein calls it supernate, and sell it. I would buy it, It is super.

Im not so quick to put Palletta in the expert group, just yet. From his videos, maybe advanced hobbyist. Just exactly how do algae cellls absorb long string protiens and amino acids. And what is the method of metabolism or anabolism of those that they use.

I get algae blooms when feeding CHO based foods, but not protein based foods.

Archived