Innovative Marine Aquariums

30G Down And Dirty Rimless

smiz

It's weird stuff for sure. I have some in my frag tank, and no matter how much I scrub and dip in peroxide, it always comes back.

But I can take an algae-covered frag out of the frag tank and move it into my 10g tank, and in a couple days the snails and hermits will completely clean it up. And the weird thing is I've kept snails and hermits in the frag tank too. I think that different water conditions and lighting can make a huge difference. If for whatever reason the conditions are good for growing bryopsis, then it grows in spite of snails and urchins and crabs and peroxide and magnesium and anything else we throw at it. But if conditions change, then the control measures can catch up and keep up with it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pics? How about the sump in the stand?

Still have to plumb this #$%#&* lol. Unfortunately plumbing really isn't my thing. Trying to bribe people now to do it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!!!

Tank is all plumbed and setup in its now home!!! Loving it so much. Just need to hang the light now.

Also dosed a few drops of peroxide two days ago and it killed most of my bryopsis! Did another drop today to see if I can finish it off!! Pictures to follow tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

So well start with a nice pic of the tank

438C84BE-6E86-47D8-9058-ABAFD20C19CE_zps

Now, after dosing with peroxide and getting rid of all my F'ing Bryopsis I now have a massive amount of brown slimy snot like algae. It showed up a few days ago and over night covered my entire tank. It was full of air bubbles that in one day covered absolutely everything.

I quickly did a 50% water change siphoning everything I could out and cleaning that sand, but it is still coming back just as strong.

It has been three days now. I have done 50% changes every day, the air bubbles were gone after day one. But I am left with this snot like slime now. It blows away super easy and doesn't seem to have a root or structure or anything. Ive already lost several SPS colonies to this now so am scrambling for a fix.

I read a similar situation that claimed the stuff feeds on iron so I bought a thing of seachem cuprisorb to run in my reactor to hopefully help.

Heres some pics of the Fer

79A94962-CCFB-4124-B04E-1E0624D453CF_zps
FCB41FEC-E15C-4A28-A3DB-454792FCD943_zps
2EF368F5-067C-44D6-81B2-3F0058F1E2F4_zps

FYI pics were after water change and dusting. Everything was covered prior.

Might be Dino. I had to do a 8 day black out with peroxide to get mine to go into hiding. There is a huge thread on Dino can't remember where. But stop doing water changes it makes it worse! They now believe that adding microfauna is the key to get a hold of it also.

So I did a 3 days black out while dosing 3ml of peroxide daily. Lights come on today so we will see how it looks. One good thing about the wife banishing the tank to the basement is that it has no windows! Perfect for a black out.

Thank all you guys for the help! I was able to save most of my mother colonies by doing the black out. Almost all of the diatoms are gone. I can't tell if the remainder is diatoms or one of the 1,000 other problems I had.

Happy to report I can actually see my sand crystal clear for the first time in months.

3 days of total black out with a 3ml dose of peroxide seems to have done the trick. I am still currently dosing peroxide to hope to prevent a come back.

I also bought seachem cuprisorb to run in my IM desktop nano reactor. My problem is that the cupri is very fine. Last time I ran GFO in my reactor it was fine, but bigger then the cupri and it ended up shooting out all over my tank. Any one had similar problems?

Also to reward my successful battles against all these damn algaes I just purchased a Nanobox Duo :D

• 3 weeks later...

omgomgomg

How are the diatoms? Still gone?

I see them coming back a bit. I blow them off every day. Tanks really looking good with the new nanobox giving the driving inspiration!

Photo Dump!

Ill post the best first....NANOBOX!!!!

This thing is so damn sexy that my wife actually said she likes it, which to date has never happened in 5 years in the hobby lol.

CBFE816E-A4AF-40C3-BFC9-C6EFDE705881_zps
454630CA-DFEF-4573-87CD-FD49AF4DB97F_zps
Here is my upside down fish photobombing. He has been upside down for over a year. The person I bought him from also had him upside down the whole time. I think I may try to pea trick to try to deflate him lol. Poor guy!
6D6F81B6-E80D-4AD8-8289-EB1EC39F5F58_zps
My only good looking acro :)Blue Green and Pink
25F0D0E5-88FA-407E-AA38-2EAB8856525D_zps
Red Planet
AFCF2ED6-AEF4-40A9-801F-2D529944ADA7_zps
CEC807C3-5C55-41A2-87D1-23E7C7F1A29A_zps
Favorite fish of all time.
0E850A0A-89BE-402A-A085-733639EF5C8F_zps
$5 brown chalice I picked up from lfs :)
29738BA8-E7BC-4D27-BBA6-7354E6600794_zps

Here is my upside down fish photobombing. He has been upside down for over a year. The person I bought him from also had him upside down the whole time. I think I may try to pea trick to try to deflate him lol. Poor guy!

6D6F81B6-E80D-4AD8-8289-EB1EC39F5F58_zps

Whaat? He's just always upside down?

Tank's looking good! Nice chalice!

Whaat? He's just always upside down?

Tank's looking good! Nice chalice!

Thanks! I've been lurking your thread as well!

Yeah I traded some purple stylo for him and when I got him he was upside down. I was like "uhhh I think hes dead" But the owner said hes been swimming that way for a year so IDK lol.

Yeah I traded some purple stylo for him and when I got him he was upside down. I was like "uhhh I think hes dead" But the owner said hes been swimming that way for a year so IDK lol.

Funniest thing I've seen/read all week

Assessors are weird like that, it's what makes them fun.

• 2 months later...

Archived