Coral Vue Hydros

Adam's Nuvo 16 - Advice Welcome

adamci24

HarryPotter

Hey! I had the canopy custom made at a plastic company here in Buffalo. I designed it myself. I could post the files on here and you can see if a company around you can make it. I paid close to 150 to have it custom built. The only thing I would change is the lips on the side that rests on the glass. I would push them farther up because right now I can see the water line plus about 3/4 of an inch which doesn't looks as nice.

I haven't done an update on here in awhile but I will post soon I have had a lot happen with this tank but it's still pumping along now.

Post the file! I have black acrylic and would love to try something like this

HarryPotter

Do you want the Google sketchup file or images? I guess I can do both.

Ketchup would be be better IMO- I am planning on printing it to scale so I can play with a mount for my Radion

Edit:

Sketchup- not Ketchup!

Tank is looking great. Love the canopy. I actually bought some black acrylic to do something similar but much more basic just to block the glare from the lights, but it's been sitting there because I think I would probably get the acrylic cement everywhere and it would be all lopsided. Looking at yours, that's the way to go. Great design. What type of place did it, I mean, what do I look for?

UPDATE 6/8/15

Well, I haven't posted in awhile but I'll give you the history of this tank since I set it up last summer.

The tank went through the normal new tank problems with some minor algae and such. I got 2 clownfish eventually and wrasse. The wrasse died for some reason and has since been replaced with a firefish. At one point I had pistol shrimp but he became too much of a hassle so I had to get rid of him.

List of major issues that happened in the past year:

- Some of my coral started shrinking for no reason as all my levels were completely fine. After 2 weeks I noticed little white bugs crawling on all my LPS. I guess they are a variation of the red bugs that attack SPS. I have no idea how I got them but they destroyed my torch, frogspawn, trumpets, and beautiful orange Acans. I ended up getting "Sentinal" which is the new interceptor pill used for heart worms in dogs. I got this pill from my local vet and put it in the tank. I guess that is the only known method to getting rid of white/red bugs. It killed all the white bugs within 24 hours and have yet to see them again.

-After my white bug issue, my tank just went on an algae craze. I thought it was cyano at first but I really think it was dinoflagellates. They were brown in color and looks like spider webs all over my coral and sand. Air bubbles were trapped in the algae. I did a lights out for 3 days after siphoning as much as I could out. I also added 1ml of peroxide nightly for a week. All the algae is now gone and I have had only actinic lighting on for the past 2 weeks. I am hoping I don't see that stuff again.

Hopefully my coral will come back to life like it was before those 2 big issues. I posted a video below that shows my tank before the white bugs and dinos:

Archived