Pod Your Reef

Modifying a plant LED to reef LED

Fross

Hello all,

I am working on purchasing a new aquarium (75 gal rimless) and the guy has a LED setup that he built for a planted tank . I was wondering if it is worth buying and what your opinions are as far as what lights to add to get this thing up to par for a free with sps, clam softies the whole bit.

Here is his add with the current set up:

- 36 Cree xp-G cool white LED's with 80 degree optics, ideal for plant growth and good light spread - 3 Aluminum heat sinks - 5 computer cooling fans - 3 Mean Well 60-48P dimmalble drivers - 1 DDC-02 PWM Controller (dimmer/ daylight controller) Perfect size fixture for a 4' long tank.

First off I am guessing I will want another controller so I can change whites and blues separately.

Several royal blues

hyper-viloet?

Is anyone using these 3-up or 4-up LED's?

http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-xpe-indus-star-3-up-royal-blue-high-power-led

Sorry for all the questions, I have not build a LED system yet and I want to get an idea as to what I am getting into before making a decision. Here is the full craigslist post for the light and the tank.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/4583735173.html

He needs to stand in front of a brick wall, and have a two drink minimum...

'Cause this

For a reef setup just swap in a few actinic blue LED's

Is F'n hilarious

1 Fiddy is fine for the tank and stand, if he cleans it spotless.

Let him keep the light, its worthless over a reef. You'll be thinking, "I bought these Meanwells and heatsinks, etc, I should put them in this reef build. Ill be wasting money if I don't". It will get you locked into a mindset to use that junk, instead of doing a clean build or buying good commercial units.

Take the light hangers, too. Or take the light and sell that on CL for $50.

Archived