Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Weird ricordea

Skuba

Have a bunch of these ricordea and lately it's been bubbled more than usual. Looks more like a bounce shroom than a ric. Maybe it's just extra happy? Lol

3AD44570-A51B-44FD-BC57-B5F5C516B616_zps

Whats the temp.My softies get more puffy when in the 80s.

Yea with the heat in my place during summer I usually stay in the 80-82 range.

thats cool.. but odd.

never seen that. good to know higher temps do that !

Not sure I'm convinced its temp related. I have a few different rics and this particular type is the only ones doing this. And my friend I got the original mother from has a big rock full of these that the bubbles were marble sized maybe bigger last time I was there
Nano sapiens

I have one R. yuma that does this, but none of the other types. For mine, the more light the more and bigger the bubbles.

I remember seeing a reference to 'Shroom 'Bubbles' in one of the 'Reef Aquarium' volumes from Sprung/Delbeek. Either too much light or possibly too much UV?

No its not temperature related. Some Yumas do that and some don't. The LFS near my second home has yellow/green yumas that puff bigger than that and resemble BTA anemones. There are others there that look normal though.

No its not temperature related. Some Yumas do that and some don't. The LFS near my second home has yellow/green yumas that puff bigger than that and resemble BTA anemones. There are others there that look normal though.

I Beleive these are caribean/Florida. I have a Yuma and they're much smaller. The original one if these fully opened is about 5"-6" across

Location may play role but there is no way of telling. I do know that Vietnam tends to have some nice morphs of yumas.

The best answer:

"There is no scientific evidence, at this point, to support as to why some yumas inflate and others don't".

The good news is that you can now explore and find out why that yuma is inflating through testing.

CatfishSoupFTW

it looks pretty cool. and if it aint stressing, maybe leave it be. lol its unique ! no need to test anything haha, except maybe the temp thing. I guess in late october we will find out when it cools off.

Location may play role but there is no way of telling. I do know that Vietnam tends to have some nice morphs of yumas.

The best answer:

"There is no scientific evidence, at this point, to support as to why some yumas inflate and others don't".

The good news is that you can now explore and find out why that yuma is inflating through testing.

So even though this particular morph is pretty large it's a Yuma? I was always under the impression Yuma were smaller than Florida rics

it looks pretty cool. and if it aint stressing, maybe leave it be. lol its unique ! no need to test anything haha, except maybe the temp thing. I guess in late october we will find out when it cools off.

Nah I have no desire to mess with them and enjoy the whacky shapes. The bubbles all look different like a black eyed pea too. I just read up on yuma and didn't realize they got so large, found the same morph too selling for $100 and up yet these split so much for me I hand them out like party favors when people come see my tank lol

Nano sapiens

It' quite possible that the 'shrooms we lump all together as 'Ricordia yuma' are actually different species. DNA testing of various 'Yuma' types would be really interesting.

It' quite possible that the 'shrooms we lump all together as 'Ricordia yuma' are actually different species. DNA testing of various 'Yuma' types would be really interesting.

I was thinking the same but it may just be based on location. Who knows... It is would be a great find though. I can see the price hike for those.

I was thinking the same but it may just be based on location. Who knows... It is would be a great find though. I can see the price hike for those.

The one I found that looks like the same is called red tip orange pacific yuma. If we had a scientist around here looking to experiment I'd donate 1 for that lol

I would imagine this could possibly be closely related to why BTAs have bubbles and some lose them since ricordea are so closely related to nems. It's possible it is a different species and it is possible it is just one of those mysteries of the sea :)

Archived