Coral Vue Hydros

Under The Boardwalk

mechishark7

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank is doing well, I moved it from my desk to my dresser and I picked up some new inhabitants from the bulkhead of the marina a few weeks back; about 5 small crabs, a dozen or so ghost shrimp and a cool little goby

04695E37-12AA-41D0-9745-5907FCC5FE58_zps

22C731DC-41F6-4665-85B2-C036434C343A_zps

6771CA89-7D4F-4B82-A2DE-EAFEAB130E48_zps

3D787FF3-234E-4E27-A412-DA2C25E3589D_zps

Unfortunately, the crabs and shrimps have picked off a majority of the cool growth on the bottle, but the hard growth is still there.

Going to try and get one last snorkeling session in this year before the water gets too cold to try and get some mussel beds and clams to add to the tank.

Mr. Microscope

Very cool! I always say there aren't enough biotopes out there. How are you maintaining temps?

I think muscles require a large nutrient load/lots of food, but I could be wrong. Are you planning to supplement them with phyto or something?

Dr.Brain Coral

Love it! The Mussel idea is so cool. They'll help filter the water AND look badass. B)

Any sand crabs?!

sand_crab.jpg

Sand crabs need a lot of food. They fail in all But the Largest tanks. Plus they have a unique feeding mechanism.

The Tank looks Great. I love that little goby :wub:

Sand crabs need a lot of food. They fail in all But the Largest tanks. Plus they have a unique feeding mechanism.

The Tank looks Great. I love that little goby :wub:

I had no idea... Thanks for the info!

I also love the goby. :wub:

Very cool! I always say there aren't enough biotopes out there. How are you maintaining temps?

I think muscles require a large nutrient load/lots of food, but I could be wrong. Are you planning to supplement them with phyto or something?

No mussels yet, temp is given by room temperature...the waters here change from the low 40s to the 80s in the bays so room temp should be adequate; not trying to replicate the given seasons as the inhabitants have no place to migrate to.

• 1 month later...

Updates? Love the tank.

I have taken the tank down and released the inhabitants, goby and crab, as I am packing up and moving down to Melbourne Florida for a job I just accepted.

I will probably set it up again when I get settled in down there and might make it a tropical Floridian biotope

Good and bad, bad becxause no tank for awhile, good because I am in florida and I can id some fish and such for you :)

Awesome! What part of Florida?

Probably gonna hold off on any snorkeling for a while since apparently Florida has a lot more aggressive sharks than Long Island does, so what ends up in the tank might come from a dip net along a bulkhead for a while haha

aquariumlover10

Tampa bay area.

If you can get to apollo beach it is a awesom place to get stuff, pleny of macro algae, hermit crabs land and sea, snails, small fish(I've seen silverside a lot and a few gobies or blennies), also its a fishing beach so just get a fishing license and no one will know, also a lot of bluecrabs, becarefull with this, because if they pinch you and its cuts deep some people get a blood disease.

Oh and a lot of small(some big) sharks thier, but also dolphins and manatees their, ;)

Oh and one last thing, do NOT go during or after a long storm, the water washes up alot of dead leaves and such and they trap huge pools of stagneat water and dead fish, but after a huricane go, and a lot of lityle fish, shrimp, crabs, ect. Get washed up and nothing is dead yet so doesnt stink :)

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived