inTank Media Baskets

CPR Bak Pak Skimmer

NaNO ReeFiN

Two questions:

1.) Would a CPR Bak Pak Skimmer fit on a 20L? The Skimmer is 17.5" tall and the 20L is 12" tall but it's not an HOB skimmer for nothing... meaning, would it fit on the back of a 20L? (Since it risen up a bit to fit on top of the tank...)

2.) And is there a different skimmer you guys would recommend instead of a Bak Pak or is this a good purchase to make?

Hey, thanks for asking, I was wonderin the same thing sorta. I can't decide over a CPR bakpak, or one of the Prizm skimmers. Anyone with experience with both? ???

I own the bakpak, and highly reccomend it. It will fit depending on what sort of stand you have. If the tank is flush with the stand it doesn't matter whether or not it is longer. I have one on my 20h. I have not used the prizm, so I can not reaaly compare performance.

Well, the 20L would be sitting on my desk (I have two desks in my room..) so I was wondering if the bak pak skimmer was hanging on the tank, would the bottom of the skimmer touch the desk at all... if it does, I might have to go with a prizm...

Just thought of something! Could one of you guys with a CPR Bak Pak measure down from where the skimmer is hanging from the tank (Where the two black pipes are..) to the base of the skimmer... if it's 12" or less, I'd be able to place it on my 20L :) , if it's over 12" I can't... :*(

Originally posted by cmoreash

my LFS has a prizm on their display reef.  It seems to do the trick, and doesn't take up much space.

Same here, my LFS has two tanks that are using the prizm, but after reading on reef central the bak pak seems to be a better choice... (a remora would be great as well but waaay tooo much $$)

I just measured my cpr from the lip of the aquarium to the bottom, it would be very close. Its about 12 1/8". I would see if your lfs would let you put it on a 20l in the store to see if it would work. It would certainly suck to get it mail order to find out it was off by an 1/8th of inch. Good luck!

I think 1/8" you could work with...just set the skimmer down next to the tank. Also, the BakPak has an acrylic base/stand that you could probably file down a bit to make it shorter.

If you can, get the BakPak rather than the Prizm. The BakPak's contact chamber is a lot bigger.

Archived