Pod Your Reef

Really interesting lights!

dude

I recently bought one of those super energy saving long lasting light bulbs for my kitchen, when I put it in, I noticed that it was really bright, upon further inspection, I found out that it was a type of Power Compact lighting, so I went out and bought another one for my 10 gallon. And when I put it on just foir a test, it was bright, even brighter than my current flouressant lighting.

All of my corals were doing fine with the old lighting, but when I installed 2 of these energy saving bulbs, they seemed aloyt heilthier. And these bulbs cost considerably less to install and operate than normal flouresant lights. and the bulbs just screw into normal light socket fixtures.

If anyone else is using or has used these kind of lights, I would like to know how they worked for them...

NanoReefer53

prepare for some nice nice algae blooms ! most likely the color temperature is below 5000k and that's not really effective for a reef. Not all spectrums of light can be used by corals. If your lucky though, you'll have the 6500k ones which I guess can be good for a reef. You'll just want some actinic to wash out some yellow.

ps-algae like yellow and red spectrum colors.

I a couple of the 65k ones. They are pretty bright. I am not using them because I am getting halide. They are fine for reeftanks and imo the color is nice even without actinic supplement. I think they burn out pretty quickly. So you would be changing bulbs pretty often. But I am not sure. Like NR53 said make sure you have the 65k and not a lower kelvin temp.

Archived