Coral Vue Hydros

new xenia

bugsy

Hi, I just bought a clump on xenia today. I am using an Aqua Clear Filter on my 10 gal. Should I place this xenia on the bottom where the flow pours back into the tank from the filter or would that be to strong for it. I am running a Mini Aqua Clear

Also, should I be adding anything to my aquarium for this xenia or just leave well enough alone and see what happens first?

I hate adding things to my tank if I don't need to My mushrooms and comunative anenome are doing just great and growing good.

Also will any of these tank fish and cleaners bother my xenia?

1 tomato clown (loves the communative anenome) (mojano)?

1 green chromis

1 camel shrimp

1 turbo snail

2 very tiny hermit crabs

:)

place them where they will receive moderate flow, i got a clump too (but it was unattached to LR) and after about 5 days they're completely attached! i don't feed my xenia anything, they only get sunlight (AKA PC lighting) so i think they're pretty versatile, they'll also be able to withstand anything your livestock will do to them. they might close up sometimes, but if they're not closed, they'll be pulsing away :) you don't need "luck" with xenia, if you've got the right parameters, they'll take off in no time :)

harbingerofthefish

Ihave mine under a 5-15 wally world HoB and in the counter current flow form the power head.

No dosing. 32 watts of light.

I wouldn't do anyhting to encourage the growth of Xenia. They grow too fast in my system without Iodine, I couldn't imagine the fragging I'd be doing if I started to dose.

BTW, msot of the "experts" and reefcentral do not recommend Iodine. I'd personally stay away from it.

Dale

i have had great experiences with for xenia and other corals. in a coral heavy tank replacing trace elements is essential since they go through them so fast

Thanks for your replies. I was worried last night as they were closed up tight. This morning wide open and and looking awesome.

As for the iodine, I think I would rather leave well enough alone unless I have a problem. But I would like to ask about Phytoplankton. Some people say that if I were to use this on a regualr basis it would definatley help the few corals I have along with helping other things grow on the live rock.

Any feed back about this?

I know sometimes adding stuff into the aquarium can cause nothing but heartache and problems and I sure don't want to do this to my tank. Even though it is a small tank I have spent lots of $$$$ getting were I have it now :)

the phyto would be good, but not to much, i dose DT's (the best imo) once a week and only half of the labeled amount and my corals and feather dusters love it. It also sets a good building block for zooplankton to grow.

xenia.JPG

gotta love that xenia.

I prefer to have xenia placed in an area of low flow so that you can watch it gently wave around or pulse (if you have pulsating xenia)

I don't dose anything and every week I have to cut off and frag my xenia or else it'll grow ontop of my zoanthids.

I purchased some Red Sea Xenia about a month ago from

Liveaquaria.com. When I put the rock in my aquarium I thought

I had be ripped off. There were 3 or 4 tiny white bumps

on the rock. The white bumps have grown considerably and

are starting to look like the pictures I saw at the Liveaquaria

site, they pulse like crazy. I just do weekly water changes

and dose Phyto weekly, my other coral seem

to benefit from the dosing as well.

Archived