inTank Media Baskets

Dorm's SPS XR15 powered IM Nuvo Fusion 20- Working on W/C System

dormreefer

I just realized that, I definitely misread that question...I'll blame it on being tired when I replied :lol:

Personally I really like my XR15.The big selling point fro me was the ability to control 6 independent channels. I feel that it allows for a much more versatile light. In all honesty I have wanted a Radion for a very long time long before the XR15 came out. Most of my local LFS have been using them for years with great results. When I had SPS in the tank they did very well and the colors were great. However, I have switched my gameplan to making this tank a BTA garden so time will tell on how well BTA's like the light. The small potentially "gimmicky" things sold me too: cloud coverage, lightning and control through Apex.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a little bit of an EcoTech fanboy. So this could influence my preferences but I really like the light.

With that said at almost half the price depending on what your are going for the Kessil seems like a really sweet light. The shimmer they produce can't be beat.

Thanks for the response. Everything you said about the Radion are the things I like about the like, speaking of it being so controllable. The built in controller (yes through USB and the computer, but still you dont have to pay extra to get the perks of sunrise/sunset) seems great and I love the fact that its not only sunrise/sunset but also cloud coverage and storm mode.

I know that the shimmer on the kessils is better than the radions, but even the controllable ones have to be done manually if you dont have a controller, and then if I go with a controller it doesnt allow for storms unless I spend 200 bucks on a bluefish controller

I really just dont know what to do. haha.

The Kessil is a great basic light, with amazing shimmer and extension of the corals.

The Radions are beautiful, especially with the RMS, have tons of controlable options, but dont create as good of a shimmer.

So I've decided that I'm tired of the way I've been doing water changes and want to go a little more technical. I'm going to be adding a 5 gallon jug to the right side of the tank equipped with its own Apex temp probe+heater. Then run tubing to the main tank with an MJ. That way I can drain water using syphon directly into the bathtub in the next room. After draining I can just flick a switch on my iPhone and have temperature matched SW sent right into my tank. Ordered all my supplies for this task now I just have to wait.

Thanks for the response. Everything you said about the Radion are the things I like about the like, speaking of it being so controllable. The built in controller (yes through USB and the computer, but still you dont have to pay extra to get the perks of sunrise/sunset) seems great and I love the fact that its not only sunrise/sunset but also cloud coverage and storm mode.

I know that the shimmer on the kessils is better than the radions, but even the controllable ones have to be done manually if you dont have a controller, and then if I go with a controller it doesnt allow for storms unless I spend 200 bucks on a bluefish controller

I really just dont know what to do. haha.

The Kessil is a great basic light, with amazing shimmer and extension of the corals.

The Radions are beautiful, especially with the RMS, have tons of controlable options, but dont create as good of a shimmer.

I can't really speak for the sunrise/set as I haven't actually used them (I ramp through blues into my daytime) but the lightning and cloud cover effects are definitely pretty neat and a "wow" feature for guests :P

If you end up going with an Radion let me know! I was very curious about what kind of depth from the wall a RMS requires its one of the main reasons I used the ceiling kit. I'm glad I used it though as it looks super sharp. I can't wait to get a more permeant living space so I can actually trim the cables though...

Over due update, two weeks ago I changed plans with the tank and added a Rainbow Bubble Tip. The current FTS on the first page is about a week old. Here's so pictures of acclimation.

IMG_3976_zps3c152336.jpg

IMG_3971_zps2f3c67a1.jpg

I've also ordered the required parts for my "semi" automatic water change system...More to come!

Finally, bonus free shot of the built in tank I designed and set up at my parents house. I just did a full rescape and will be assisting my dad in making it into a reef in the new year. The built in to the left of the tank holds an ATO and fish gear but is completely covered normally so it is not noticeable. Below the tank, there is a 10 gallon sump.

IMG_4016_zps39be7a19.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the RMS. What dimensions did u need?

I was looking for the depth required between the tank and the wall. However, my impatience got to me and I used the hanging kit before the RMS even hit the market :lol: I may utilize an RMS sometime down the line. I have to move the tank in August <_<

Managed to get my w/c routine a lot more precise and easy. I added a second 5 gallon jug below with a MJ1200 that is plumbed to the top tank. I have a second Apex temp probe in the jug along with a heater so I can match the water temp of my tank and a Sicce Mini Mouse for mixing. I also purchased a scale to weigh out salt along with a Milwaukee Digital Refractometer and a BRS RODI unit. Life is simpler now :)

reefernanoman

Nice equipment, tank and live stock! All of the things that you got are awesome! One day I will upgrade my light to an XR15! Following.

I love rainbow RBTA!

I was looking for the depth required between the tank and the wall. However, my impatience got to me and I used the hanging kit before the RMS even hit the market :lol: I may utilize an RMS sometime down the line. I have to move the tank in August <_<

Just incase anyone searches or you decide to switch, 4" is ideal but about 2" will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank looks great. Having a hell of a time trying to decide on a stand for my 20. Were you happy with the IM stand? Debating on that or just finding a piece of furniture.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived