Pod Your Reef

Guits' Rose Garden - Fluval Spec V Florida biotope

Guits

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck!

Thanks! I just tried the dip - I figure it can't hurt, the tissue keeps receding and they are likely goners if I don't do anything anyways ...

Yeah, this is the tough part of the hobby and no one is immune from these occasional setbacks. One thing that sets loses like this in perspective is that a natural coral reef is literally built on the hills of the dead skeletons of animals that have passed away due to a variety of causes, including disease.

Still sucks, though :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2015 at 9:55 PM, Nano sapiens said:

I assume that your 'Rose Coral' are Manicina areolata, correct? Can you post a pic of the recession?

These would be part of the Mussidae family and they are notorious for bacterial infections that can be broght about by stress. Acans and Blastos are in the same family and when they get this type of infection It's often fatal. Typically, its a slow wasting process where the tissue gets 'tight', the polyps stop extending tentacles/feeding and then the tissue typically recedes from the outside inward. And as you noticed, it doesn't effect non-Mussid genus/species.

Melafix (basically, Tea Tree oil extract) can be helpful and is what I would try if you see these symptoms and can treat the coral in a separate container.

Good luck!

I was too bummed out to take pictures when the Manicina were at their worse ... I think most of the specimens are starting to recover except for 2. One of them is basically all melted away, and the blue one is slowly melting away. I've been dipping the blue one in tank water with Melafix approximately every other day. The Melafix seemed to initially improve the tissue expansion of the blue one, but it continues to recede day by day :( You can see white skeleton where the tissue continues to disappear. After the Melafix dip, you can smell the tea tree oil fragrance in the skimmate of the protein skimmer.

IMG_2003.jpg

Some of the other ones seem to be slowly regaining color, with the transparent parts slowly regaining zooxanthellae.

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

Other ones have almost completely recovered *crossing my fingers*

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

You can see some colonial feather dusters that have popped up from the live rock within the last 2 months - they are very neat!!! You can also see one the sailfin blennies popping its head out from under the brown Manicina.

That's a relief that they are mostly recovering, but I'm sorry about the ones that aren't :(

Glad to see the others look healthy, but sorry you are losing the blue one. I'll say it again, such a cool and unique tank!

Mixed news, but could be worse. Crossing fingers that most continue to improve.

Thanks! Hopefully things will continue to improve.

• 1 month later...

How are things going? Mostly recovered?

I still have some problematic corals but on the whole it seems to be better rathan than worse. The tissue extension isn't the same, but the colors have for the most part returned and I can get them to eat. I've been on vacation in CA for the past week and I'm heading back home this weekend so hopefully everything did ok ... it seems like every time I go on vacation something bad happens to my tanks even when I have tank sitters :(

Vacation is the devil for our tanks :(

Glad to hear things are on the mend.

As usual vacation resulted in some not so good things ... the anemone shrimp disappeared and there's an area of coral recession on one of the oculina (which had been occurring for the last month actually - not sure if it was stung by one of the other corals as the appearance of the tissue recession looks like that to me from prior experience). And to top it off, one of the masked gobies jumped out today, after I returned to vacation. Hopefully that's it for the bad news!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived