inTank Media Baskets

First ever saltwater tank!

CurtBoswell

CurtBoswell

I'm going to warn you that this is a addicting hobby and you'll be buying a larger tank in 4-8 months.

Haha! I know. I already can feel it. I went from wanting a 5.5 gallon. To 5.5 gallon with a 5.5 gallon sump. To 10 gallon with a 5.5 sump. But you're right. I'll probably go bigger in a year. I have and empty 20 gallon and 40 gallon. ?

JDH, would that first bulb from Coral Compulsion allow me to keep all coral types? I think I'll go with that one. I have a lot of light fixtures that where for reptile aquariums I used to have.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JDH, would that first bulb from Coral Compulsion allow me to keep all coral types? I think I'll go with that one. I have a lot of light fixtures that where for reptile aquariums I used to have.

Definitely! If you are just going with one, you'll want to keep the higher light corals (such as SPS) in the middle of the tank under the bulb though.

You won't regret it :)

CurtBoswell

Thanks! :) I'm thinking fish wise I'll be getting a Catalina Goby and an Ocellaris Clownfish. Would those two be fine in that size tank? I won't be adding them until about 4 months after starting the tank just to make sure I won't have a spike in ammonia.

I'm so excited to get this tank going. ?

I think it would a bit much for a 10g personally.

Two of any fish on that list seabass provided is really a maximum, and only with consistent weekly water changes. There's no set rules with reefing as in freshwater such as "1inch per gallon" but I would say 1 or 2 fish for a tank that size.

CurtBoswell

Alright. I'm not sure of the second fish yet but I still have a while before he'll be in my tank! I don't like the look of a DIY PVC over flow. So how much would drilling the tank cost? Or what if I took a HOB filter and just cut a whole in the bottom? Would that work? I'm planning on using a mini jet 606 for a return pump.

The glass on a standard rimed 10 gallon tank is pretty thin, so they aren't the easiest tank to drill (without cracking). If you want to drill it, you might go with a rimless tank (which is a little thicker). Glass-Holes.com has some nice overflow kits.

If you want to keep it simple, just use a HOB power filter. However, you cannot convert a power filter into an overflow box. Overflow boxes are just that, they overflow the water (that is being pumped into the display) back into the sump. You cannot match flow with two pumps (the flow will vary even if finely tuned, and will result in a flood).

CurtBoswell

Okay then I'll just go with the DIY PVC over flow for right now. I already have the 10 gallon aquarium. What size pipe would I need to match a 153 gph return pump? It connects to a 1/2 inch tube.

CurtBoswell

For a sand bed is 2 inches sufficient? According to the ReefCentral sand bed calculator I will need 21 lbs to get that? Does that sound about right?

I think that's about right. Basically 1lb per gallon will give you about 1"

I would say a fair majority of people here prefer a shallow sand bed which ranges from 1-2"

CurtBoswell

Is there any benefit in a deeper sand bed? I read that it will help produce anaerobic bacteria. Is that true? Have you ever tried a deeper sand bed? The one problem I'm going to have is that I will only be able to tend to it 4 days out of the week and I want it to be able to filter itself the best it can.

If an overflow fails (loses it siphon) it will cause a flood. If I were going with a HOB overflow, I'd pay for a reliable one: http://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-PF-Nano-Overflow-Box/dp/B0042CX568 Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with just using a HOB power filter. You can get something like an AC70 with a media basket: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear_c44.htm

You won't experience great benefits with a deeper sand bed in a nano. If you don't plan to keep livestock that requires a deeper bed (like a jawfish), then I'd stick with a 1" bed.

CurtBoswell

Alright. I'll stick between 1-2" of sand. If I don't want to buy live sand where could I buy sand?

I know there is a lot of benefits to live rock but I'm going to go with 10lbs dry rock and 1lb live rock and make sure there is nothing on there pest wise.

hi curt! welcome! i'm a newbie to the

hobby, by accident, and i have been running

a 3 gallon pico reef happily and well for the

last 5 months or so. today, i'm getting a 8g

in the mail (SO excited) which i will start in

september.

i was VERY intimidated by the rumor that

the small saltwater tanks are SUPER hard and

stuff. and going in with NO experience, i can't

say i believe in that myth. if you are willing to

do the upkeep (as in more constant checking of

water level--i look every day to see about evaopration)

and more water changes (i do every 7-10) days, it's

been keeping itself just fine.

i will say i'm only keeping a few very easy soft

corals, and i have one sexy shrimp.

you do NOT need a sump for a tank this size.

i haven't had one and upgrading to an 8g, i asked

someone with my same tank and he's been running

for over a year or so fine without one. you need

an appropirate light, and that refractometer as was

suggested.

my tank has 2 mushrooms corals (that just split

last week, both of them, so now i have 4), a xenia

that split into 3, a kenya tree, some zoas, and some

blue cloves i think they're called, and green star

polyps. i had two cerith

snails for clean up, no more than that. one died alas

in my wave pump. and the two sexies. i added a pom

crab early when there wasn't enough food and it died. =(

my tank is overun with amphipods, has quite a lot

of bristle worms, and a lot of stomatella snails. i think

this is indication tank is doing well.

CurtBoswell

Thanks Cindy! Could you post some pictures of your setup? I would love to see it.

I won't be starting my tank for another week or two. So hopefully in August! I'm trying to save up a bit more money for this tank. I don't want to cheap out on stuff and regret it later.

I'm planning on a snail only CUC. Crabs seem like they don't do enough cleaning to risk them killing the snails.

Alright! I'll definitely check that sand out! Thanks Seabass!

um. i am NOT DiY. =) and the easier

the better. so i'm running an aqueon 3 gallon

without much extra. i did buy their light for

corals though--but i think it only supports

soft corals? not even sure as i have no plans

on getting more challenging corals any time soon.

i have this: http://www.truaqua.com/zen-nano-glass-aquarium-zn-3g.html

and this light: http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-led-light-nano-tr.html

my NEW tank is the CADLIGHTS 8g, which there are build

threads on and i've heard good things about.

Hey Curt, I'm new to reefing as well. I started a 10g reef about 10 yrs back but failed miserably due to no advance research, so what I can say is research a lot and plan your tank and equipment before you start. I'd suggest getting a slightly larger tank 8-12gal if you can afford it, the more water volume the better it is on parameter also easier to clean, I went from a Fuval Edge 6g to Mr Aqua 12g before it even finish cycling realizing how small that tank is. marinedepot.com have a nice selection of nanos by Mr Aqua with nice dimensions, love my 12g long. Take a look at my build thread it may help you some.

i agree in that the larger the tank, the more

stable it is. but if you're willing to put in the time,

a pico is totally doable for a new beginner. i researched,

but really, you couldn't get more NOOB than me. ha!

DiY is Do it Yourself. i'm not into macgyvering. ha!

CurtBoswell

Thanks MrReefer! I will definitely check out your build thread! I'm going with a 10g display and a 5.5 sump. I found a mini skimmer on amazon for about $60 that I will be getting. It should help me with keeping the parameters in check. Also I'll be using chaeto to help with nitrates.

i agree in that the larger the tank, the more

stable it is. but if you're willing to put in the time,

a pico is totally doable for a new beginner. i researched,

but really, you couldn't get more NOOB than me. ha!

DiY is Do it Yourself. i'm not into macgyvering. ha!

I was confused with the "a" on the end! Haha! :D

Archived