Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tanked_kiwi's Aquanano 40 - DIY Heavy!

tanked_kiwi

I'll grab you a link for it, it's the better 1 of the 2

Cheers! I am really pleased with the light, everything I put under it seems to colour up nicely.

Yep, that's Keisha, she's me best mate! Do you have a boxer?

No I do not have a boxer,but I do like them. They generally seems like happy go lucky dogs full of lots o energy haha.

I have a Rottweiler and an American Akita.

tanked_kiwi

No I do not have a boxer,but I do like them. They generally seems like happy go lucky dogs full of lots o energy haha.

I have a Rottweiler and an American Akita.

Ha, your not wrong there.

2 very good guard dogs you have there. Not too many American Akitas around here. A mate of mine breeds and shows Rottweilers, a favourite of mine for sure.

Ha, your not wrong there.

2 very good guard dogs you have there. Not too many American Akitas around here. A mate of mine breeds and shows Rottweilers, a favourite of mine for sure.

Well that's really awesome you have a buddy that breeds rotties and shows. My rottie comes from good breeding and showing lines but I had no interest on doing either lol. Yea they make a good pair between the 2 of them. I love my reef tank but there's something to be said about animals that look after you when you're sleeping.

tanked_kiwi

Well that's really awesome you have a buddy that breeds rotties and shows. My rottie comes from good breeding and showing lines but I had no interest on doing either lol. Yea they make a good pair between the 2 of them. I love my reef tank but there's something to be said about animals that look after you when you're sleeping.

Yea its not something I'd ever do, he sure does spend alot of time doing it. Agreed, I love this hobby too but I'd take the dog anyday if I had to choose.

Are you going to throw up a picture of your new sump setup?

Ive also had rotties all my life, just moved into my own house will be getting a pup soon!

here is my last one (sampson) which we had to put down due to old age and quality of life

IMG00005.jpg

Ive also had rotties all my life, just moved into my own house will be getting a pup soon!

here is my last one (sampson) which we had to put down due to old age and quality of life

IMG00005.jpg

That's a fine looking rottweiler. Good name too. We've had Rotties most my life too,my current one is my 4th. The Akita is new to me as far as sharing living space with one.

Gonna be a big boy huh, how old?

He isn't quite 7 months yet. And about 65 lbs or so. His dad was 28" at the withers and 138 lbs

He is already as tall and long as my rottie she has weight on him though she's about 115

tanked_kiwi

IMG00005.jpg

Oh yea forgot about the sump pic, will chuck 1 up tonight.

Nice dog, it's hard putting them down. We lost our 5yo Golden Retriever last year to cancer. We're looking to buy our 1st house late this year and have been thinking about another pup. Keisha's 3 now so she's chilled enough. Will be either a Rottie or a Bull Mastiff, or perhaps another Boxer, would like a brindle male.

tanked_kiwi

That's a fine looking rottweiler. Good name too. We've had Rotties most my life too,my current one is my 4th. The Akita is new to me as far as sharing living space with one.

He isn't quite 7 months yet. And about 65 lbs or so. His dad was 28" at the withers and 138 lbsHe is already as tall and long as my rottie she has weight on him though she's about 115

Wow, he's gonna be big alright. I've never had any large breed dogs. My wee 29kg boxer is the smallest of all my mates dogs, but she sure knows how to play with the big boys lol.

tanked_kiwi

Here's the sump pics. This unfortunatly doesn't work how I thought it would. In the quest for maximum useable space, I went for a corner baffle for the return. The return section is too small, so when I turn the pumps off for feeding or a water change, the skimmer goes mental. I originally thought (before ever owning a skimmer) that I'd turn the skimmer off along with everything else, but this seems to upset it too much. The replacement sump with a single baffle in the centre should be ready this weekend I hope.

Heres the corner baffle I made from acrylic with built in bubble trap. This would work well if it were bigger

1HZmcm6.jpg

And the sump, which will be tidied up once "Version 2" replaces it

G9HeN5Z.jpg

tanked_kiwi

Not alot, I have my return pipe only just sitting in the water. In that photo the return pump is off. When it's on the sump level is at the height of that return baffle and the water level in the the return chamber "should" sit where that float switch is. This isn't always the case though, and that's why I'm redoing the sump... Again. It's not a huge deal, the skimmer just skims really wet while the pump's off. But a new sump is less than the cost of my hermit sooo...

tanked_kiwi

Update:

Bought a couple of SPS frags the other night as well as another hammer. Also managed to remove the Aiptasia (with my pencil blowtorch hehe) and decided to remove the zoa colony that was infested with zoa pox. Kinda miss them and the bright yellow they added. Anyway heres some pics of the new stuff

Blue Millepora

KWE0amp.jpg

Green Pocillopora

YpZLQko.jpg

Green Tipped Hammer

efkMMB2.jpg

And my hermit's new favourite hiding spot amongst the mushrooms

u3MFWdo.jpg

And a current FTS

5sfqhPg.jpg

Not too happy with how its looking atm, I glued some frags onto my rock when I got the new ones the other night and think I need to move them, they look a bit odd. Also need to let things grow out a bit more, but...... I keep finding cool frags I want...

tanked_kiwi

Bugger, looks like that Aiptasia had a chance to spread before I got to it, found this on the floor tonight

schb0Qz.jpg

Its looking good mate!

how do you find having no substrate? must make it super easy to keep the tank clean of detris etc

New corals are sweet as well, where have you been getting those from?

tanked_kiwi

Its looking good mate!

how do you find having no substrate? must make it super easy to keep the tank clean of detris etc

New corals are sweet as well, where have you been getting those from?

Cheers bud!

Bare bottom is the tits for keeping clean, but I never meant to leave it like that. My LFS owner reckoned it was good to leave it bare while cycling and then to add sand later. I was going to do this and well never got round to it lol. Got used it to it pretty quick. I sometimes think about adding sand, I might do it yet 1 day.

The frags are from a guy on that Facebook group, he throws the odd frag or 2 on there occasionally but usually has heaps. Have got a heap from him now.

HarryPotter

oh and wht glue did you use for your acrylic?

Always weld on 4 I believe.

Cheers bud!

Bare bottom is the tits for keeping clean, but I never meant to leave it like that. My LFS owner reckoned it was good to leave it bare while cycling and then to add sand later. I was going to do this and well never got round to it lol. Got used it to it pretty quick. I sometimes think about adding sand, I might do it yet 1 day.

The frags are from a guy on that Facebook group, he throws the odd frag or 2 on there occasionally but usually has heaps. Have got a heap from him now.

Hi! Love your DIY stand- is that made of 1" plywood?

tanked_kiwi

oh and wht glue did you use for your acrylic?

This,

http://www.awardplastics.co.nz/shop/Plastic+Fabrication/Adhesives++Cleaners/Plastic+Glues/105+Acribond+0.5L+Tin.html

edges need to be perfectly smooth for it to work though, its like water. If you're scribing the acrylic you'd be better off with this

http://www.awardplastics.co.nz/shop/Plastic+Fabrication/Adhesives++Cleaners/Plastic+Glues/110+Acribond+0.5L+Tin.html

Always weld on 4 I believe.

Hi! Love your DIY stand- is that made of 1" plywood?

Hey! Thank you. Nope its 16mm MDF, glued and screwed with 2 coats of west epoxy then paint.

Don't think we have Weldon here in NZ, though I didn't look, I just used what my acrylic supplier carried.

HarryPotter

This, http://www.awardplastics.co.nz/shop/Plastic+Fabrication/Adhesives++Cleaners/Plastic+Glues/105+Acribond+0.5L+Tin.html

edges need to be perfectly smooth for it to work though, its like water. If you're scribing the acrylic you'd be better off with thishttp://www.awardplastics.co.nz/shop/Plastic+Fabrication/Adhesives++Cleaners/Plastic+Glues/110+Acribond+0.5L+Tin.html

Hey! Thank you. Nope its 16mm MDF, glued and screwed with 2 coats of west epoxy then paint.

Don't think we have Weldon here in NZ, though I didn't look, I just used what my acrylic supplier carried.

Any chance you have pictures of the build process? I really like how it turned out

tanked_kiwi

Any chance you have pictures of the build process? I really like how it turned out

No I dont sorry. Im pretty pleased with it, although next time I think I'll make the door the whole front.

Archived