ReefCleaners.org

Emergency.... Need advice

rockstar

I want to thank everyone for your quick help and advice. I definitely learned a lesson. First major mistake I've made to affect the tank but I'm only almost 2 months in so it probably won't be my last. This hobby is really a learning experience all the time and it grips you. I was so worried for the tank. I love animals and I'm a biology major hoping to become a marine biologist so this tank means a lot in different ways. Btw I'm a girl :) my name is Rockstar because we'll I'm awesome, love music, and that's what I named the starfish lol.

NorthGaHillbilly

Glad it turned out well, one stresser usually isn't the end of things. Sounds like you've got a solid plan to get it back on track

I want to thank everyone for your quick help and advice. I definitely learned a lesson. First major mistake I've made to affect the tank but I'm only almost 2 months in so it probably won't be my last. This hobby is really a learning experience all the time and it grips you. I was so worried for the tank. I love animals and I'm a biology major hoping to become a marine biologist so this tank means a lot in different ways. Btw I'm a girl :) my name is Rockstar because we'll I'm awesome, love music, and that's what I named the starfish lol.

so relieved for you! and i hear you.

i'm maybe 5 months in, and have had

no major disasters yet. but i did lose a pom

crab which was super sad. glad your tank is

doing okay!

Glad to hear your tank made it through. We all make mistakes - some big and some small. We all put a lot of ourselves (heart, soul and $$'s) and we're responsible for the health and safety of these little critters.So when something goes wrong, it hits ya hard.

One thing to consider is to see if you can find a 'tank buddy' Someone local you can call for emergencies like this, and that can call on you when they need help. NR is like that for advice, but not always to provide material support. Reef clubs are good places to find one (or more) of these folks.

If you're not making mistakes... you're not learning anything. I'm amazed my reef tank survived being kept by me for the 1st year - I learned a lot. ;)

Look at it this way... now you know what a salinity swing looks like and how to fix it.

Making acquaintances with a couple of local reefers is probably the single most sage bit of advice (than and northgahillbilly's trick of boiling up higher salinity water). Having locals around means never being completely out of something critical after store hours, someone to go in on online/group purchases with, a place to put just-in-case frags of that favorite coral (cleverly disguised as "gifts") as well as just having someone to bounce ideas off of that would get a "that's nice dear" from your SO.

+1, local reef buddies are the best. I was able to get cupramine and copper test kit at 1 am for some sick fish awhile back.

Plus we split shipping on frozen food, coral, fish orders, ect :)

I'll have to talk to the people at the lfs about possible reef clubs.... Has anyone read wet web media? Bob Fenner gives advice on there and works here in terre haute at inland aquatics. I'll have to talk to him too.

Bulk rate....The one thing I get out of being a single woman/mom is that I don't have to bounce things off of a significant other or have them mad at all the $ I spend on this hobby, and I can make my kids listen to me talk about it because they have to lol.... But really though they love the tank and animals too. :)

Been another day and the tank is still fine so that's a relief. I did a wc and added a little top off today with saltwater so we are on the way back to normal.

Archived