Top Shelf Aquatics

Got my basket pack for my Nuvo 16 today

Steve973

My two media baskets and refugium arrived today. The baskets are really nice and they have more room than the stock baskets. I want to make sure that I am using them to their full advantage, though, so maybe you guys can help me. The small bag of chemipure elite fits in a compartment pretty well, but a bag of purigen doesn't fit without folding it or putting it in there in a way that will impede the even flow of water through it. How should I put this media in there? Next, someone was claiming that a refugium (for chaeto) the size that fits in an Nuvo 16 chamber isn't enough to be effective. Is this true?

I also forgot to mention that with some filter floss, the purigen, and the chemipure elite, the water overflows the baskets a bit. Is this normal? Or do I have too much media in there?

I would cut the bag of purigen in half as it is a little large to fit as is in the basket. The goal is to still allow water to flow through the media and pass through the basket. This will put less back pressure on the incoming water and limit any spill over. A little spill over can be expected how this basket has to sit in the chamber design.

As a general rule the more room for chaeto the better. I've never ran it personally so I am probably not the best source but the fuge basket in the IM16 is not super small. We have many other customers using it for chaeto with good success. You could also use the fuge basket for larger bags of media, like that bag of purigen.

You can just add filter floss in a fashion that it sticks up a little higher than the basket itself; this way you can feel comfortable that at least you are stripping some of the water that overflows of some of the impurities such as waste/food.

What do you guys do with the extra bag material?

I make a knot in the bag to close it off and then loop the excess material through the holes in my Custom Caddy media baskets to hold them in place. This keeps the bags upright in the basket so that more water can run over the filter materials.

Archived