Cultivated Reef

how many watts

saltwater-rookie

saltwater-rookie

i currently have a 2.5gal stocked with 3 lbs lr 3lbs live sand and crushed coral. Took sand and water from already established tank (my 10 and 55 gal), waited to see if there were any spikes for 2 weeks. all is good so far. What size lighting should i use, right now i have a 18 watt 50/50 on there. Only plan on keeping xenia zoo's and mushrooms, i also put in 3 blue leg's in. any advise this is my first tank under 10 ga. alsdo am using a submergible fluval as filter and water movement.

saltwater-rookie

Thanx, sdbeazley for the response....just don't wanna over or under do it....hope all goes well with this tank.. Once again thanx

saltwater-rookie

well today i purchased the coralife 18 watter w 1 9w 10k and 1 9w antic, put in a small frag of zoo and he opened right up.... next i will move one of my small shroom rocks has about 4 0r 5 on it... so far so good for a 2.5 gal

That light should be fine. I grew birdsnest coral in a 2.5 gallon with 18 watts of light. My 3 gallon had 18 watts for over a year and I had plenty of softies growing well in there.

Use what I use, its a 20W Coralife 50/50 bulb. It was 10 bucks and all you need to buy is the bulb, socket and wire. Here are my pics:

100_1024.jpg

100_1025.jpg

100_1026.jpg

Archived