ReefCleaners.org

70 Watt MH help

catweh00

Hey everyone,

What kind of glass do I need between my 70 watt DE ushio and the water? Any kind? i bought a piece from lowes for 50cents and also apiece of acrylic--should I use them both? Also, right now I have the lamp and ends duct taped onto my reflector--just for the day. Should I rush home to remove that or what? Will the halide burn through it? I know, dont flame me, just answer and I will do it. thank you.

craig

You just have to make sure that the glass filters UV rays and a quick call to Lowes can tell you that, otherwise, just hit up a glass shop.

Von digity

All glass filters UV. You'll be fine with standard glass, unless heat is an issue and it cracks. So, if I were you I'd just run it with what you bought, if it cracks then you know you need some thing stronger, like tempered glass.

As for duct tape. I'm pretty sure it will melt, I'm not sure at what temp though. I wouldn't trust it. You should do something about that.

Oh yeah, don't bother with the acryic piece, it will melt unless it is like lexan or something.

use real glass. no duck tape:P

i use UV blocking glass from Michael's Arts and Crafts store for picture framing...works great!

they cut for free. glass prices depends on the size...a piece of UV blocking glass big enough for my CSL (20" x 8"?) cost $16

so far, the glass has been great! tank seems happy...light is nice and bright! Im satisfied:)

Archived