inTank Media Baskets

weird white protrusions on rock

flaunt

i have a couple of snails from florida (don't know what species), one is about 3" long and the other is 2"-2.5", so they're pretty good sized snails... all of a sudden last night i noticed there were a bunch of white protrustions (growths is what they looked like) on the side of one rock, in a square shape. there are about 36 of them or so... they're each about an inch long and flat on the edge that sticks out, so they make the side of the rock look almost like a big toothbrush, it's really strange. so these protrusion-growths just suddently appeared, but even more interesting is that the snails are always around them, they've been staying close to them and have been running around on top of them since they appeared. anyway, i would take a picture but i don't have a decent digital camera here, so from this vague description does anyone have any insights as to what this might be?

i think the obvious response would be snail eggs.

do you have any corals in the tank? they may have unwanted hitchhikers. predatory nudibranches come to mind as prolific egg layers, esp. against soft corals. (yum-yum)

i'm a little surprised the snails are hovering around the eggs as i didn't know any to have any nurturing/protective instincts. i've always known snails/nudis as drop'em and go. most of the snails i've seen just leave them as egg masses, whereas nudis plop them in intricate spirals or vertical clusters ime (egg standing upright) near a food source!

what kind of snails are they btw?

hmm no i can't imagine it would be "crap..." if so then these snails go to a hell of a lot of trouble to poop! the white things are about an inch long, white, rectangular shaped, and flat on the end that sticks out... they're actually attached to the side of a rock in a roughly square shape. last night for the first time since these things appeared i saw the snails completely off of them and on each other with some white stringy stuff in the water. i wish i knew what kind of snails they are, all i know is that they came from florida...they're definitely not nudibranches, so i'm not worried about that. are there any snails that build a nest before laying eggs?

sorry for the confusion, i didn't mean if the snails were nudis i meant other hitchhikers that may be present within the system but your desciption seems to point to the snails as the origin of the 'white protrusions'.

Archived