Top Shelf Aquatics

Frog's Cube-ribbean Reef (rimless 20x20x20)

Apexlaxfrog

Stand finished, and installation began over the weekend! :D

Will be updating my current FTS and the DIY stand post(s) very soon.

Unfortunately ran into a small hiccup. I didn't take into consideration that my head loss would increase about 20-30% because the vertical return run went from about 3 feet to 4 feet... FORTUNATELY, my little Taam RIO 1100 has just enough oomph still move some water (maybe 150 gph).

Yessir!

Any suggestions? I really like how quiet my current Rio 1100 is so I'm thinking about getting a Rio 1700... With 3 elbows, 2 outlets and 4 feet of head (assuming 3/4"), it should push almost 300 gph.

10x turnover for a 'display macro' fuge should be sufficient, eh? I currently have a 20gal sump but I'm planning on upgrading to a stock 29 gal with aspirations of making a decent 'display macro sump'. Still contemplating a rimless sump though...

NOW, I can finally add some more frags and fish! Didn't want to add livestock knowing that I had this big move on my hands.

FSS140911.jpg

FTS140911.jpg

Sump

Sump140911.jpg

Left-Side View

P1011744_lzn.jpg

Just thought I would throw you a personal note - I have had so many Rio pumps fail on me (5 and counting) that I recommend to all that mention them, please look into another brand. I personally like Sicce pumps - look into a Sicce 1.5 or 2.0 - their quality is so much better than the Rio's, and although they tend to cost twice as much, it is worth it IMO...

Just thought I would throw you a personal note - I have had so many Rio pumps fail on me (5 and counting) that I recommend to all that mention them, please look into another brand. I personally like Sicce pumps - look into a Sicce 1.5 or 2.0 - their quality is so much better than the Rio's, and although they tend to cost twice as much, it is worth it IMO...

+1 on the Sicce pumps - I have a 1.5 on my Nuvo16 and love it- best pump I've owned

Excellent! Thanks a bunch for the advice!

Have heard/read a lot about Sicce, but the cost had me on the fence. Furthermore, RC's head loss calc doesn't have Sicce pumps listed, so I wasn't certain what my GPH would be through my sump.

Would you guys recommend the Sicce 2.0? It runs 568 gph, so very comparable to the Rio 1700 I was eye-balling... do you think @ 4 feet of vertical head and 3 elbows it would still push 280-300 gph?

I hate that it's twice the price, but it's ostensibly the logical investment. Worth the extra few bucks up-front to guarantee sleep-filled (rather than sleepless) nights ;)

^Just what I want!

So after looking around, Sicce synchra 2.0 is what I'm probably going to get. Not immediately because I've still got to purchase/build my new sump but it seems to have great reviews and excellent lifetime. I saw somewhere that the 3.0 models and up can lose a good bit of performance (volume and noise) over time.

I've always thought so...

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/09/10/top-reef-forums/

but I'm happy to see that others think Nano-reef.com is considered one of the TOP reef forums :happy:

I have old accounts on those other forums, but I dislike them when in comparison to NR.

As for tank updates:

-Blew up my STC-1000 thermostat, so temps are fluctuating 77-80 :furious:

-DIY ATO re-installed

-Starting laying out my full-spectrum fuge LED build

-Ordered Coral Frenzy to add to my feeding mix

-Chaeto added (thanks Arkayology!) to fuge, on opposite light cylce as DT for pH stabilization

-Cycling a standard 10-gallon QT system- just coarse sand, LR, SW, and powerhead for now

With the new stand in place and most things going according to plan, I'm gearing up for the addition of... vertebrates! omgomgomg

Specifically, I am hoping to add an Opistognathus aurifrons (Yellow-headed Jawfish) and a Pseudochielinus hextaenia (Sixline Wrasse). And possibly a clown Gobiodon sp., most likely G. atrangulatus

Bah, not entirely sure lol. I know the wiring was right. But I was, however, re-wiring the thermostat in ambient light (too lazy to turn on a lil directed shop light...) and paid for my laziness because when I plugged the unit into 110VAC, a magical pop, sizzle, and smoke emanated from my t-stat unit.... Sooo, I'm guessing that I had a stray wire jump from one of the live terminal blocks to the negative terminal block and just shorted the unit out.

• 8 months later...
Apexlaxfrog

Long time, no update... therefore...

PHOTO DUMP!

Old FTS (Feb.2015)

fts150202.jpg

<P>

Zoas that I had originally thought were hit by zoa pox... but I now attribute the decline of my initial softy frags (zoas and palys) to an over-adbundance of copepods! Anyway, these guys are doing much better now.

zoas.jpg

<P>

Purchased a 6-line earlier in the year. Fun guy to watch (difficult to snap an image of):

euphyllia.jpg

<P>

Better shot of Hexataenia pseudocheilinus:

6line.jpg

<P>

One more, while he's checking out a stomatella:

6linecloseup.jpg

<P>

Possible monti polyps on my live rock?

montipolyps.jpg

<P>

And then the newest coral additions:<P>

A little brain action...

brainfeather.jpg

<P>

Acro (only $9.99 due to massive tissue recession)

newacro_1.jpg

<P>

And a xenia/brain combo frag:

newxenia.jpg

<P>

newbrain.jpg

<P>

Pogoda cup:

pogoda.jpg

<P>

Pectinia:

pectinia.jpg

<P>

GSPs are starting to take off.

gsp150505.jpg

<P>

And finally an updated FTS:

fts150505.jpg

Apexlaxfrog

+1 on the Sicce pumps - I have a 1.5 on my Nuvo16 and love it- best pump I've owned

Also, took the advice and upgraded my Rio return pump to a Sicce 2.0. Awesome little pump! Time to start saving for a Vortech...

Archived