SaltCritters.com

rocksmom's Nano Box Powered PicO 5G - upgrade! #220

rocksmom

Good lord those Acans though !!! Those pink ones are crazy nice. I'm starting to slow get my Acan collection up slow,they're awesome and grow so fast !!!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys think about a TSB in here? Too small? I had one before I moved in a 12g and I looooved that fish. I already have an ORA tiger goby in QT, but he's so shy that I'm considering "gifting" him to my husband and getting something else. When the tiger was with my husband's yasha he seemed more bold, but he would always be an only fish in my tank.

I'll be adding adding zoas to the tank today so I should have pics tonight or tomorrow, depending on how long it takes for them to open up!

I think the TSB could work; they are active enough to be interesting but not so active that the small swimming space would be a big issue. Maybe get a juvenile and move him later if necessary.

I read that you bought one of the new PicO Skim 2 skimmers on a different thread and couldn't remember if you talked about it on this thread. Are you running it on this tank? If so, how are you liking it and how long did it take to break in?

He would definitely be the only fish. I think my only options I'm considering right now are:

TSB

Black clown goby

Tiger goby

The only other thing I plan on adding to this tank is a pom pom crab. If I don't put a black clown goby in here I will probably get one for the 3 gallon along with sexy shrimp.

I think the TSB could work; they are active enough to be interesting but not so active that the small swimming space would be a big issue. Maybe get a juvenile and move him later if necessary.

I read that you bought one of the new PicO Skim 2 skimmers on a different thread and couldn't remember if you talked about it on this thread. Are you running it on this tank? If so, how are you liking it and how long did it take to break in?

Thanks for the input, I really would like to get another one. I have one in my cart at bluezooaquatics. We'll see if I pull the trigger. :lol:

I did buy the skimmer, but I haven't gotten it yet. The pre-orders just shipped last week and mine will be here tomorrow.

He would definitely be the only fish. I think my only options I'm considering right now are:

TSB

Black clown goby

Tiger goby

The only other thing I plan on adding to this tank is a pom pom crab. If I don't put a black clown goby in here I will probably get one for the 3 gallon along with sexy shrimp.

Do the black clown goby! Well, do what you like :lol:. But ever since I saw Zia's black clown goby in his seahorse tank, I've been in love with them :). Someday I'll have one :).

Zoas have been added! Acans, mushrooms, and the encrusting corals for the bottom are in place as well. Here's a list of what's currently in the tank:

Fruit Loops

Rastas

Tyree Orange Rainbow

Sunny Ds

Raptor Rainbows

LC Razzmatazz

Pink Acan

ASD Rainbow Acan

Tyree Japonica (which is a cyphastrea I think?)

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

Gonzo's Red Hot Stylocoeniella

Gonzo's Lava Lamp Mushrooms

Pink/White Mushroom

LC Rainbow Yuma (I damaged this guy a bit moving him and gluing him in, hopefully he heals okay)

I see one swap I want to make, probably sometime this week. You can't see the raptor's rainbows where they are now so I think I am going to move them to the empty branch up front and actually take out the sunny ds to free up another place for sps later. I've never been a huge sunny d fan, but my husband really likes them so I will give them to him. The zoas still aren't opening the whole way, but I decided to go ahead and take some pics anyway. My skimmer came today so that is installed as well. It's not running though because something was wrong with the air pump I bought. I got the whisper 40 and it couldn't produce enough air to make any bubbles at all, let alone run the skimmer.

15139829769_7938bcc743_c.jpg92214 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15139988448_e0bf13ff3b_c.jpgfts92214 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15326589445_a43bff1bd0_c.jpgfts92214blue by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Do the black clown goby! Well, do what you like :lol:. But ever since I saw Zia's black clown goby in his seahorse tank, I've been in love with them :). Someday I'll have one :).

I think I'm going to get one for the 3g. Blue Zoo has them in stock as well as pom pom crabs. I'm still looking though because I was hoping to pick up some corals at the same time. I hate spending more on shipping then the goby and crab cost. I'll be moving my tiger goby into here as soon as I can catch him. He's a fast bugger. He hides in the rock even when I take it the whole way out of the water. Is it bad that my fish is smarter than I am? :lol:

That's one hell of a list !!! Looks awesome btw !!

You'd think with that many corals in a 5 gallon tank it would look full. <_<

Grow, grow, grow!

I think I'm going to get one for the 3g. Blue Zoo has them in stock as well as pom pom crabs. I'm still looking though because I was hoping to pick up some corals at the same time. I hate spending more on shipping then the goby and crab cost. I'll be moving my tiger goby into here as soon as I can catch him. He's a fast bugger. He hides in the rock even when I take it the whole way out of the water. Is it bad that my fish is smarter than I am? :lol:

That's where I saw them too...Bluezoo. I'd order from them more often if they had cheaper in-state shipping. I have a neon goby that does the same thing...stays in the rock when you pull the whole thing out. I almost killed him once becaue I didn't realize he was in the rock, fell out, and didn't make it back into the tank for about a minute after being out of water. Luckily he was ok :).

Just updated the first post with current equipment, stock list, etc. I moved my tiger goby in yesterday. He finally graduated from the quarantine tank! I also added two pom pom crabs I found at a LFS. I thought the one had died today, but once I fed the tank he perked up and started feeding. They are cute little buggers. They really put up a fight with the LFS employee. They did NOT want to be caught. :lol:

I'm having some trouble with my zoas, but I think I know what the problem is. They were having the same issue in my frag tank, but not quite to this extent. The individual polyps are small and they keep their skirt rolled up a bit. At first I thought it was too much light, but after doing some more research I think it's not enough nutrients. This tank is like crazy clean. Nothing on the glass, nothing on the rock. I was so paranoid about keeping the "uglies" at bay, that I think I went overboard. With the new inhabitants I guess I'll be feeding a lot more anyway and just have to deal with the algae when it comes.

That's where I saw them too...Bluezoo. I'd order from them more often if they had cheaper in-state shipping. I have a neon goby that does the same thing...stays in the rock when you pull the whole thing out. I almost killed him once becaue I didn't realize he was in the rock, fell out, and didn't make it back into the tank for about a minute after being out of water. Luckily he was ok :).

I ended up getting everything I was going to order from Blue Zoo locally, except for the clown goby. That was the only one I couldn't find. Now I would really hate to spend $50 shipping on a $10 fish. I guess I'll wait awhile and see if they come into stock anywhere else. I might not get one at all after reading about mini maxis eating fish. I have to decide if I want a fish or an invert only pico. I finally did managed to get my tiger goby out of his rock. First I tried to coax him out with food, but that was a no-go. I ended up slowly dunking the rock up and down out of the water and after a few tries he swam out. I felt bad, but I didn't know how else to get him.

Usually your LFS can order a YCG for you. I would be worried too with a maxi mini and a perching fish...maybe try a RFA instead since supposely their sting is less potent?

They were supposed to be getting some in already, so I didn't have one special ordered. I haven't been back to check though. I'm definitely considering a rfa, I almost bought one from vipreef but it was so expensive that I kept stalling and it looks like someone else bought it.

How tall is your tank + nano box?

Please and thank you!

About 16", but it would vary some depending on how you bend the gooseneck.

They were supposed to be getting some in already, so I didn't have one special ordered. I haven't been back to check though. I'm definitely considering a rfa, I almost bought one from vipreef but it was so expensive that I kept stalling and it looks like someone else bought it.

About 16", but it would vary some depending on how you bend the gooseneck.

I really wanted an RFA, so I purchased one online Friday evening from a local place so I should be able to pick up. However, they haven't contacted me yet even though I've called and emailed... <_<

Thanks for the measurement!

great fts, looks like things are coming along nicely.

Thanks!

You have a beautiful tank, really! Huge props, I love acans!! If my tank ends up looking half as nice as yours I'll be thrilled.

Thank you! It still feels so empty to me. I can't wait to move my sps in, but I'm trying to be patient and wait another month or so.

My pom poms were out and about some this morning, so I was finally able to get pictures of them. The one is actually pretty active, but hangs out on the back of the tree under the branches so he's always in the dark. The other one is the laziest critter I've ever seen. He just hangs out on his back in one of the holes/crevices all day moving nothing but his little filter gizmos. I always think he's dead.

Here's the more active one standing over the lazy one. If you look close you can see the lazy one's legs poking up.

15224852020_9a696872a3_c.jpgcrab1 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

The lazy one finally got irritated and chased the other one away, but even while doing that is still kind of lounging. He's using the rock like a recliner.

15224780559_b4628c6661_c.jpgcrab2 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Here's the best picture I've managed to get of my fish. He's doing a nice faceplant for your amusement. I swear he's alive.

15411533765_56d9524f48_c.jpgfish by rocksmom9, on Flickr

So far everything's doing really well, even with the increased feedings. The snail is keeping everything really clean, just a slight green haze on the bottom glass. I've been doing a mix of Fauna Marin pellets and reef chili as well as the LRS frozen before water changes. Zoas are looking better, starting to regain some size and opening more. The rastas are troopers. They've gone from three polyps to seven or eight since I bought them and are always open, even after shipping and tank changes.

I participed in a live sale to pick up a couple things for my 3g, and will probably add one of the pieces to this tank. It will go on the bottom in the front. Can't decide which piece though.

Lookin good! Cant wait to see what this looks like all grown in!

You and me both ;)

Archived