SaltCritters.com

Sea Spider?

Angel

I found this in some new zoo's today and my first thought was spider. The body doesn't look like the thin one that Tiny was asking about awhile back. It has a sharp point at the end of the legs (claws?) which it has four sets of. It reminded me of that pod alien that jumped on the faces in the movie alien. There is a distinguishable anus or head between the legs. This thing is tiny, maybe 1/8" with legs extended, so these pics are as good as it gets. The thing does not like to be off rubble or else it puts itself into a ball like an anemone does. I would appreciate any info on this thing or a direction to research it. Thanks in advance!

The claw like tips, of each leg and the protruding spots (head/anus) have me leaning against the echinoderm idea. If you know of one that has these features, I would love to see some close up pics to verify. I tried to get a closer pic, was lucky to get those, because he balls up when off the rubble and when I tried to get closer pics, they blurred.

I did notice another detail wee hours this morning though, when he rolled over to go into a ball he had two smaller things (fangs/antennae) tucked under his abdomen that were one each side of one of the protruding parts.

ghostbear29

im going for a crab vote. juvenile maybe? these antennae are probably eyes. the fangs are the mandible or small claws? what do you guys think.

could be another type of spider. there's a lot of different species and many yet to be tagged and bagged.

description sounds like a spider. i don't know what the technical differences are between a crab and a spider. aren't they both very close on the evolutionary tree?

is it eating anything? "gaahh, get it off, get it offf!"

isopod, maybe? or some other type of *pod?

Actually it is so tiny that I put it in a container by itself so I didn't loose it and then see strange deaths occurring. The more research that I have done, the more that I see that it is actually a type of spider *sigh* so many different ones and not all pictured. I am still on my quest to find out what it is though and until then, it shall stay in that container.

• 5 months later...

did u read my post on your picture thread? ive had some about 8 of them on one rock in my old tank... my lfs look at a speciemen i took n said it could be some kinda baby star, they have good grip n theyre really slow? am i right... if not we have different things!

Yes, I asked Dr Ron and it is a spider. The exact species is unknown as there is over 600 different types, that is known and several hundred others that they do not.

Archived