Top Shelf Aquatics

Upgrading to 20L

NaNO ReeFiN

Well, I couldn't take it anymore... The need to "Go Big" just kept lingering in my mind so I've decided to upgrade my 7 gal. Alife to a 20L. I've been doing a lot of research and bought a couple new items for the tank, (Canopy, CPR Aquafuge HOB Refugium, ebo heater, etc. etc..) I was wondering, anyone have ideas or comments on what I should add to this tank... I'm planning on getting a skimmer, you guys got any suggestions...? And also, anyone know of a place online for a good deal on lights? THANKS!

Also, since I won't be using my Alife 7 gal. any longer, it'll probably go up for sale, I bought it for 135 and been using it for a little over 3 months, make me an offer on it. :)

Originally posted by reefskunk

i love that goddamn tank. i'll buy it for 90, if thats ok.

90 dollars sounds decent.. I'll keep you updated on it.

Originally posted by Kapelakin

I was looking into skimmers for my tank, and think the BakPak is the way to go, unless you have gobs of money.

I looked into a BakPak and it's about an inch to tall for my tank... but... seeing how there's not another skimmer out there that would fit on the back of my tank (besides the prizm, which honestly is a piece of...) I decided to purchase the BakPak and mess around with it so it can be placed on my 20L.

So you're going to have "BIG" nano tank like me as well. :) hehehehe

I do like the size of my tank. Its not too big and not too small. I dont have to haul around lots of RO and its still big enough for a few corals and fishes.

Good luck with it. Hope to see some awesome pics when you've upgraded.

hey NANO- congrats on your final decision on the upgrade!!!! Just remember, as for skimmers..its BIGGER the BETTER!!!!! are yo uplanning to built a sump? or you are just going to use the Aquafugium? I will trade you frags for your Alife 7..hehe..i can use it as my frag tank...of course if you want to sell it..i understand..or else i can just come by and pick it up from you..let me know what your plan is..i can do part trade part cash if you want...when are you planning for the upgrade to happen? I have 4 white tip toad stool frags finally available now!!! they have great tip extensions and the body is forming its shape.and its attached to shells and small LR...so if anyone want it..$5 / frag!!! hahaha...

Hey Nano Reefin, let me know how the Bak Pak mod. turns out. I have been considering using a 20L that I have for a nano. Let me do some more research on the lights and if I come up w/ something I'll let you know.

The 20L will be placed on a desk I have in my room, so when I try to attach the Bak Pak, it doesn't hang on the tank because it's too tall.. What I plan to do is to just have the Bak Pak sit on my desk behind my tank. The inlet and outlet pipes still go into my tank just fine, all I have to do is keep the Bak Pak stable and all is well. *meaning it'll work out fine for me*

NaNO,

Funny you should mention the Bak Pak - I too, had a Prizm skimmer, but decided to return it - the LFS guy said the Bak Pak is much quieter and performs better (his opinion, I'm sure) than the Prizm.

The good... I may have gotten a better skimmer.

The bad... Prizm = $70, Bak Pak = $130.

I tried it on my 10-gal, and it barely fits - it's almost too tall, but will work out perfectly.

Ross

quiksilver5768

Hey everyone, stop hatin' on the Prizm. lol. Ive had mine for over a year now with no problems what so ever, and it still pulls a lot of junk out of the tank. Ive tried the bakpak and I just dont like it. Plus, IMO, the bakpak is too big. But many ppl have different opinions abot each of these skimmers, so thats just my 2 cents.

The Remora is a better skimmer... But the Bak Pak in a fine one as well for small nanos... I personally use a Bak Pak, but use a custom made surface skimming prefilter box (slotted) to truely pull only water from the surface; it makes the Bak Pak MUCH more effective. Don't waste your money on the prefilter surface skimmer (BBX?) that CPR specifially makes for the Bak Pak–it has a slotted water entry in lue of slots, and it is terrible and really does not pull from the direct surface (where your most nasty protiens are, trying to get to the air). About it's only purpose is to hide the Bak Pak's in-tank plumbing on black backed tanks.. Although I suppose that for $35 it is better than pulling water from 8" down in the tank, where it will never get anywhere near those terrible protiens at the water's surface...

ALSO, I think you will really like the AquaFuge; I just adore mine. The macros (mainly chaetamorpha) have pulled my nitrates down from 3ppm to almost nothing in only a week or so. Plus it is teaming with mysis and other pods. Really a great product for nanos at around $89 ...!

Archived