Pod Your Reef

Of Urchins and Odd Couples :)

MyJasmineRose

MyJasmineRose

Thank you, I don't think I'll try it again for a while. Petco is the only store with maroons small enough, and I don't want to go through that again >_>

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my fav picture of all time of a banded.

But google showed many that look like yours so maybe you are right. I have one also, it looks like this but with a white oral disc:

Actually more like this

Those are pretty :P Are they as invasive? I think I have a banded now that you posted some pics and I haven't killed it yet.

MyJasmineRose

Hypostatic that's what a lot of people said :/ I wish I'd figured that out I could've done something :( but the new one has been night and day, so I guess guess learned my lesson on petco fish. The other local stores never have maroons small enough so it was my only option. Thanks tamberav :) there's still only the one in Warp's tank so must not be! Wow I just went over to look and realized how much the Monti frag has grown...it's amazing for 8 watt leds, I'll try to get pics tomorrow :P my new build was featured on the reef2reef facebook today, I was pretty excited :)

Petco fish are horrible here. They all have flukes, worms, and ich. I buy them sometimes anyways but put them through 9 weeks of QT, prazipro and copper before they go into the DT. I usually scout the store on Fridays because that's when they get new fish in so those are always the healthiest. If I'm lucky, they are still floating in the bags when I get there and haven't seen Petco's awful water.

Grats on the feature!!

Yeah, I'm always super tempted because of petco's prices, but the ones I see ALWAY have a tank where they've seperated fish because they're sick... and I'm PRETTY sure all the tanks are connected....

It happens to the best of us. I'm usually so excited when I'm buying a new animal that I forget to check it over for any weird signs of sickness

MyJasmineRose

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. I was able to catch it before any water quality issues happened. This is going to be a massive photodump since the saltcritters box, new clown (who looks like a magical creature), and the lfs had a happy hour 50% off sale >_> I'm really happy with how the mandarin is starting to fatten and color up, I think after gencon I'll put her in a breeding box for a few days and see what exactly she's eating from the reef frenzy and try a few other options as well. My saltcritters mystery box had 2 rics, a sun coral, a favia, some zoas, and a clam omgomgomg The last has been the most stressful of course, even though I <3 her. Every day it seems I post a pic on the fb groups #clamanxiety to see if shes too closed or too open or pinched, and of course every day everyone reassures me and tells me I'm being too nervous. The site only has croceas but everyone has told me she's a maxima.

Also, Warp says hi!

t6pWragl.jpg

Hitch hiker black longspine

qxrttM3l.jpg

Clam<3

C5K0mnDl.jpg

As you can see, she likes to rotate

ltLTopVl.jpg

Nighttime

YgRXqInl.jpg

New clown pics...some mix of snowflake and picasso

wnhQvqll.jpg

Zgn1OG0l.jpg

OMvy1Qxl.jpg

Happy hour sale purchases

9GdN8gH.jpg

Nj0vo9K.jpg

Saltcritter mystery box (no good pics of sun coral yet)

921Nwu2l.jpg

8lcUyRpl.jpg

dkUkkWIl.jpg

RD0t7Wnl.jpg

Mandarin love<3

D7xmG8gl.jpg

vqlKzvMl.jpg

Misc. tank shots

Blackbeard

UHPLCt9l.jpg

Ron Weasley

RHGugaHl.jpg

TPx5iail.jpg

MyJasmineRose

That was the day after it came in, it's not like I'm neglecting it (though I do feel bad) >_> I'm trying to figure out a better location where it might open up a bit more.

Nah, it's not your fault. These corals are super hardy and easy to take care of, but the problem is that most LFSs never feed them, so by the time the corals get to hobbyists they are STARVING.

The best location is somewhere where it receives strong flow, and where it is easy for you to feed it. I would advise against putting it inside a cave or under a ledge

MyJasmineRose

It's definitely in a strong flow area, I keep hearing that light hurts them, then other people saying it doesn't, so I was looking into darker spaces to stress it out less. If it's okay then I'll leave him be. I think I'll be trying the bottle trick tonight with some frozen, seems to be successful for other people :)

I keep hearing that light hurts them

LIEEESSSSS!

Here's mine, right under a powerhead and on one of the highest/brightest parts of the tank, with full polyp extension during the day:

ih73ia.jpg

MyJasmineRose

The clam looked irritated and wasn't responding well this morning, and I'm away at the lab 5am to 10 pm today, so I decided to take her out and put her in qt with some phyto. Probably unnecessary stress but I thought it'd kill two birds with one stone, if she improves today I know something is up with my water or her location since parasites would travel with her, and if she doesn't, she won't hurt other tank inhabitants with a parameter spike. Clams are stressful :/ might try to leave early to get home sooner. In much more positive news, the sun coral fell for the bottle trick and is looking better. I couldn't really get a pic while it was covered, but this is after SSdPUGr.jpg

MyJasmineRose

My clam didn't make it :( tank sitter let me know this morning since I'm working a con all week. I feel awful and like I suck at this even though I tested everything under the sun and took everyone's advice I could find. Maybe he was just too little and shipping was too much, but I can't help feeling like I screwed up and could've done more :'(

Don't get discouraged. It happens to all of us. Sometimes live animals like all living things die and we aren't sure why. Hang in there and try to still enjoy your tank.

Archived