Cultivated Reef

Rotating powerheads -- you might already own one!

MrKrispy

EtOH_is_good

the mod doesn't make the flow completely random. water flow can come out at one of two angles. switching the pump on and off will increase the chance that the flow angle will be different. im not familiar with the natural wave maker, but with the chauvet timer flow patterns are sometimes different. if you cant see the difference, move the ph closer to the surface and plung and unplug the ph. should be able to clearly see two flow angles.

have you guys ever seen one of these? i got one at my LFS and attached it to my minijet 606... it seems to decrease the flow slightly since it converts the power of flow into energy to turn some gears in the deflector...but it still spits out a decent amount of "rotating" current.

best thing is that it doesn't require any extra batteries and it's a VERY easy install.

it doesn't spit water out of the tank, but it does aim it towards the top to break the surface every rotation. the deflector is angled at about 45 degrees so it doesn't spit stuff out 90 degs sending water splashing... :P

the bad thing about this, is that it decreases flow substantially. i would guess about 50% of the flow is converted into energy by a little fan that turns some gears which rotate the deflector. so if you don't have a powerful PH, this thing is practically useless. on my minijet 606, the flow that ends up coming out of the pump is slowed down quite a bit, but from what i see it still puts out a fair amount of rotating current.

here's a pic of the back, it kind of shows the diagram of how it works...

i've never seen any of my snails/hermits/slugs venture anywhere near the thing. from what i see there's no way they can get in, unless they crawl through the spout ... even if they manage to force their way past the current, their shells will obstruct them from going in any further...

as for anemones, make sure the intake into your powerhead is anemone proof, the output puts out too much current for an anemone to run into

my short answer: it's safe.

Actually this thing (although bulky) might be great for 20Ls. Big PHs are needed to move water to the middle of the tank, but it is difficult getting movement around corals at the ends of the tank unless you have some HOB stuff. If you have corals near the end they will get blasted by the PH trying to get water near the middle of the tank. If this thing put out a (reduced flow) straight stream of water in addition to the rotating one it would be awesome.

Still looks kinda big though.

yea it's pretty clunky... but i think it's worth it... even though it puts out far less flow, the amount that gets deflected is enough to "mix" things up, my corals no longer flow in 1 direction, they get gently tossed around, in all directions. it beats the hell out of a straight stream...

i used the adapters that they come with... the trick is to use 2 of them.

i used the 2 medium sized ones and i put the two "small" ends together, making it look somewhat like an hour-glass thing. then i stuck one fat end onto the spout, and the other fat end onto the deflector. if u need pix, PM me and i'll try to get a pic of what i'm talking about. just play with it and you should be able to figure something out :D

hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

i have 2 of those hydor things too...they work fine...turn pretty fast when they're moving..goes around once in about 10 seconds?

the funny thing for me is that constantly i will find my snails on top of one and turning with it...i figured it's a merry-go-around for them :D

Originally posted by uchiha

have you guys ever seen one of these?  i got one at my LFS and attached it to my minijet 606... it seems to decrease the flow slightly since it converts the power of flow into energy to turn some gears in the deflector...but it still spits out a decent amount of "rotating" current.

best thing is that it doesn't require any extra batteries and it's a VERY easy install.

what store?

Originally posted by jtsam

could it be deemed the wheel of death?

"I shall call it, The Wheel of Death!"

Yeah, Krispy stated, I am using a MJ1200, in a 10g, but I have the output split 2 ways with 1/2 inch locline. the flow is perfect, one goes behind the rockwork, and one points in front... and I don't even think I need my HOB, but I run it anyway.

Archived