Innovative Marine Aquariums

Comparing Acrylic and 3D Printed Storm Cases

DaveFason

Last week was a big week and with many inquires about the new 3D printed Storm cases I wanted to show the difference between the two.

I have been pushing Ben/Coralux to make a new case that was more "finished". He picked up a 3D printer and went to town on a new case. The new cases look ok, however I feel that they still need a more finished look. The resolution is very apparent but this is a start. The new colors he can do are great!

Any who, here are the photos.

14402022123_48353b589b_c.jpg

14380423742_29e56a34cf_c.jpg

14378515851_05b35da874_c.jpg

14380882264_5c7266c264_c.jpg

14195244418_08a967d379_c.jpg

14380422822_705ef134f6_c.jpg

I was going to charge for the cases however now I will simply add this as an option for you to choose. They are the same price for me and would rather pass it along to you. Hope this helps!

-Dave

Any way I can get the black case with my black and cyan mini?

Shoot me an email. I see no problem.

-Dave

Looking great. Multiple color options would be awesome as well. I have the clear original and I made a cover for it cause at night it the display lights my whole room up. Cant sleep with light. The blk case looks like it would block most of the light

Have you heard of acetone vapor smoothing? If you want a more finished look, it'll definitely help.

I have not. Shoot me an email or PM.

-Dave

EDIT : WOW! That looks stellar. Time to get my Breaking Bad!

jamesck_00

So, I like the smooth look of the old case better than the new printed case. Is it possible to spray the acrylic case with a coat of Krylon Fusion? Then you could make it any color.

I just ordered a blue front and white back case from Ben, and I should have it tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it.

EDIT : WOW! That looks stellar. Time to get my Breaking Bad!

So after your response I had to Google it. It certainly gives 3D printed pieces a very nice finish, but OMG the fumes and the fire hazard! I don't think your wife will want you doing this in your new house! ;)

Hydro graphics. Make the cases then dip them. Expensive though. I want my cars interior dipped but hard to find a local dipper

I've never messed with 3d printed stuff before. Is that a more durable material than the cases that were being used?

I've never messed with 3d printed stuff before. Is that a more durable material than the cases that were being used?

It's not as thick as the other cases being used, but it isn't as bulky either. I'll make my final judgement after I get home from work and put my controller in it.

So, I like the smooth look of the old case better than the new printed case. Is it possible to spray the acrylic case with a coat of Krylon Fusion? Then you could make it any color.

The tinker toy feel of the old case was annoying. All the little puzzle pieces shifted constantly, felt like it was going to just come apart.

Got my 3D printed case out together with my Storm controller inside. I must say I like it a lot. Once the 2 halves are screwed together, it has a really solid feel to it. I also like that it doesn't bleed a lot of light through it like my previous case did.

post-84012-0-34464300-1402686146_thumb.jpg

post-84012-0-50999800-1402686156_thumb.jpg

post-84012-0-77354400-1402686169_thumb.jpg

post-84012-0-95213900-1402686180_thumb.jpg

Might get one of these to replace my acrylic case. I like my acrylic case but these 3-d prints look cleaner.

I agree. The 3D printed cases look much cleaner.

Archived