SaltCritters.com

Snail i found at beach?!?!

Deleted User 8530

Deleted User 8530

What Is this? I know its a Snail but Would it be ok in my tank? It usualy burrows slightly under the sand and nove around Quite a bit. 00000022.jpg

just did a google image search no it is not a conus snail.

It is a: "from what I can find, this is an atlantic auger, they are preditors of worms etc. that live in the sand, I'd quarintine it before i put it in my tank, it might help sand sift,its probably better off being left were you found it though..."

I agree. I'm no expert or anything but from what I understand, anything found on or near the beach, is laden with bacteria. I know some guys that get their own stuff from the ocean for their tanks and they always go WAY out to get it, and told me I should never pick anything up off the beach and put it in my tank.

I know, I know. It's the whole, "I know some guys" theory, but I believe them. It sounds reasonable and it's better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

Again, just my opinion. I personally wouldn't do it, but I'm sure others have and will continue to do so.

Wolf

myfisharemean

I'm visiting CA, and at low tide, when i get to surf camp in the mornings usually, over at the North Jetty, There's anemones, crabs, mussels, baby anemones, etc. Could i maybe snag some a little bit before i leave, and take em home with me, its a new tank, been cycling, so I don't have to worry about killing anything. I know that it's cold water, and I'm setting up a tropical tank, but could a crab transfer to my tank? I know it's a way-out-there idea, but anyone have any input? :P thanks -Matt

Deleted User 8530

Well I Do use ocean water (straight from the Daytona Beach) for My water changes and to fill my tank and it has worked fine and it didnt kill anything! I also have 1 fish in My tank. So far no problems so If I know If it will eat anything good I wont use it, and visa Versa

Do you ever get mantises on your beach? The last time I went there I got whooped by a brown one. Before I knew anything about reefs I tried to pick them up. Maybe you could sell them.

Deleted User 8530

i realy havnt looked real close but it Might just have some :P Well I would also want to find Out if its legal first!

I think you can collect mantis shrimp. I don`t see anything against it on any of the florida fish and wildlife websites. But maybe you coall them up if you saw alot of them

Deleted User 8530

Cool! Ill call them up and see if i can. BTW what does one look like? I do need the extra $$ anyay.

Deleted User 8530

WOW! Well I havnt found any :( I was @ the Beach yesterday too! Well I sorta Know they are there because my Aunt and mother Complain that crabs pick at their Toes. It might just be the mantis Shrimp.

Originally posted by myfisharemean

I'm visiting CA, and at low tide, when i get to surf camp in the mornings usually, over at the North Jetty, There's anemones, crabs, mussels, baby anemones, etc. Could i maybe snag some a little bit before i leave, and take em home with me, its a new tank, been cycling, so I don't have to worry about killing anything. I know that it's cold water, and I'm setting up a tropical tank, but could a crab transfer to my tank? I know it's a way-out-there idea, but anyone have any input? :P  thanks  -Matt

Quite illegal in most, if not all places to collect tidepool specimins. Up to a 10 thousand dollar fine if caught.

Yea its very illegal to collect speciments in most cal waters. You better not risk it if you get caut with it your guna get the fine and maybe jail time.

Archived