inTank Media Baskets

Zoa placement

RobbAdams

OK I got a couple of Zoa "Frags" from a local reefer. There are two types, one grows fairly flat along the rocks, the other grows in kind of a "Ball",....... well more like a dome.

The flat growing one atached to the rocks in just a couple of days. However the dome one has not attached to the rocks yet, and has been knocked over onto the sand a couple of time by a crab or something?

I have seen these dome shaped zoa's in others tanks on this site on the sand before. Is this where they are supossed to be? I would prefer it to be on the rock, as have other corals planned for the sand bed in time. Do these Dome Shaped zoa's attach to substrate, or just each other?

Cellenzweig

Just take the rock out and glue the base of the zoa to it. "Crazy Glue Gel" Or "LocTite SuperGlue Gel" both work well.

EtOH_is_good

hehe, have fun glueing. it's kind of tough the first time. be sure to try and dry both surfaces. be sure to press the polyp into the glue (don't worry, they don't pop). also after your done keep in low flow area for awhile so the zoa stays put. i should probably take some pictures the next time.

Originally posted by EtOH_is_good

........don't worry, they don't pop.......

Just call me 'Vice Grip'.... :( Damn things are soo slimy....

EtOH_is_good

i should have qualified the statement. use hemastats or tweezers to hold the bottom of the polyps. press gently into superglue gel. use something to hold polyp in place as you carefully remove hemastat. i really need to get pictures the next time.

Hey guys I now have a question as it seems all the Zoos of the world are pissed off for some reason. I bougt a frag of some really preatty Bright orange with yellow centers a week ago today. For some reason they will not open up all the way just ever so slightly. The params in my tank are steady and right on, but I am wondering if maybe I have them in the wrong place. They are at the very top of my Nano Cube with stock lighting as directed by the LFS. Also they are not in direct flow, but about moderte flow from the mini-jet 606 that I replaced the stocker with. Should I move them down from the light or should I just leave them be? I just don't want them to shrivel up and die because they are so preatty. Any help will very awesome.

EtOH_is_good

wow, i've never read about zoas being closed for a week. they must be really pissed. do they still look healthy? in most cases you should try and match the lighting and flow conditions of the tank that they came from. in your case, moving them again may just stress them again. tough bind. i dunno, less flow?

Well The tank that they came out of was lit with Halides, so I placed them as close to the light in my tank as possible. In their deffence they have been moved and disturbed alot, so maybe that is why they act so pissed off. The polyps do look healthy all save maybe a couple under developed ones who have shriveled up. I've got them in a place now where I think that they will be happier so I am going to just leave them there for the next few weeks and see if leaving them alone will do the trick.

I fraged a small piece off the colony and put it on a rock in a seperate tank so that I could experiment with water and light varibles without pissing the entire colony off.

They should be fine, I've gotten a few frags that opened up from the second I put them in, but then has some that didn't open for up to a week or a little more. As long as you don't see anything really wilting on you it's fine.

EtOH_is_good

ah, i guess they think that your nanocube lights are a little dark. they're just waiting for a real "manly-man's" mh lights to kick on.

I bought a rock loaded with brown zoo's and red mushroom's

from a LFS for $20.00. I moved the shroom to another rock

and placed the zoo rock up high in my tank. The tank they

came from had 3 250 watt mh bulbs over it, my tank has

130 watts PC. Any way most of the zoo polyp's closed up

never to be seen again, but several polyps emerged and

have a bright green center, purple middle ring and dark

green tentacle's, their very nice looking. No brown zoo

polyps remain.;)

Hhaha, well hopefully all of my polyps will open up the same color I bought them as, instead of turning brown. Coral is finiky like this sometimes I guess, but then again I guess I would be too given the circumstances. I am working on trying to get a 70 or 150 watt MH squeezed into the hood...without starting a fire. We will see what I can cook up.

Archived