inTank Media Baskets

"unattached" corals

Sushi

Hi all, i'll try to make this short...i got several "frags" or "cuttings" of unattached corals this holiday weekend from a fellow reefer, and i have several questions about how to properly attach them onto rock.

1. ricordia/mushrooms: there are 3 separate mushrooms all are unattached to LR, they're pretty small (around the size of a quarter) how do i get them to stick onto LR? should i use rubberbands or floss or toothpicks to stick them down? or can i just place them on the sand bed instead?

2. green star polyps: i got 2 "peelings" of this since it was stuck on the back wall of his tank. the purple mat is pretty rubbery and i can't get it to stick properly on the LR since it just arches up and pretty much renders my toothpicks useless. any other ideas to get the GSPs to sticK? also, how long will it take for them to take hold and be able to hold on by themselves?

3. xenia: it was sliced and diced but not attached to LR. first thing i did after acclimating was i put the base on some LR and rubberbanded it together. hopefully what i did was right, my main question is: how long will it take for it to firmly take hold?

well the post was longer than expected :( but thanks in advance if you guys got any feedback. one of my main concerns is TIME and how long it will take for each of these 3 things to attach themselves firmly to the rock.

--Daniel

1. For the ricordia, get a little tupperware with some rubble in it. Toss in the rics and cover with some kind of netting [i hear bridal veil works well] and it should attach in about a week.

2. Have you tried supergluing it to a dry rock? Thats what I do for my zoos. Pat the bottom of the mat dry, add a dollop of loctite super glue GEL and let it sit for 20 seconds, then toss her in. Make sure the glue cures tho, or else itll just float off.

3. I have no idea.

tam

hmm, i'll try the superglue idea... i kinda feel like attaching a mat of GSP to the back wall of the nanocube to make it fill in nicely :)

the xenia has been in my tank for about 12 hours now, and got it's first dose of light this morning (i kept the tank dark after acclimating and throughout the night)... the xenia is pulsing like mad, but the only problem is that it's shrunken down a lot! i'm sure sooner or later it will come back but i am worried since yesterday they were about 50% larger than they are today... :( on well. any other help would be greatly appreciated, thanks again guys :)

update: after about 24 hours in my tank, 3 stalks of xenia separated from the large frag i got. it kinda just fell off. now i have to rubber band those to other pieces of LR. the rics kinda started sticking to the LR, it's not swaying in the water anymore so i assume it's already started to get a hold. :)

am i doing things right w/the xenia?? also, i've decided that i want to stick the GSP mat onto the back wall of my nano-cube. are there any special methods to get the GSP mat on there besides the superglue?

Archived