Pod Your Reef

Wes' Jewel Lido 120 Drop

Wes1984

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, no problem. I did think about using the space under the shelf but was worried about stuff getting trapped under there and i would be able to get to it ie dirt or livestock etc so decided that it was a sacrifice that had to be made for the shape. If you're really worried about the extra volume i would up the size of the sump and gain some more volume that way. i think using the void space would be too risky imo.

I wouldnt necessarily change anything on my tank as i am really happy with it however if i were to start again i would use a larger tank like a 3x2x2 i think would be perfect or possibly even a 4x2x2. The only other thing i may consider but would have a long think about is maybe haveing the drop slightly lower. i think mine is at about 10" but i would say about a 7" drop is a good height. Hope that helps.

Whats your variation that you had in mind?

Thanks a lot for the answers :)

I've been contemplating a drop reef for quite some time, and have given it a lot of thought, but as I suddenly got the chance to upgrade to one, I do have to get it planned properly in kind of a hurry. So all the advise I can get is really appreciated.

I had come to the same conclusion as you, regarding the space under the shelf, until I talked to some reefers with bigger tanks about the project. They insisted that I should go with the bigger water volume. But I think I'll stick to my gut feeling and seal the area off and leave it dry. Would hate to take it all apart because of detritus build-up ;)

My tank is 80x50x40 (lxhxd; cm) and unfortunately I'm not able to go bigger.

What's the reason that you'd preferred a smaller drop? Just aesthetics? I have planned to build a shelf in a quarter of the tank (40x25x40).

As for variations I don't have any real improvements planned, but as my tank has other dimension, and I have other equipment to put in the tank (not to mention LR and stocking), I'd expect the tanks to come out rather differently ;)

...and nice additions :)

Yes the drop decrease would be mainly aesthetics but you will also gain some more water volume. the height you have to work in that area will be increased and allows for a taller scape and some more live rock and more corals :) .All of which are plus points. I would do a 20cm drop in your tank size but thats just my opinion :)

• 3 weeks later...

I generally have a luke-warm reaction to drop offs, but this is truly well done. The branch rock was a great call. One thing I've often wondered (which is in no way a critique) is why not try a Rockwall, along the back and down the drop off? You should leave your system as is, I just find it curious no one has ever attempted it given the look people generally try to achieve with a drop off.

Any way, just to restate it, gorgeous build, I'll be following along.

I generally have a luke-warm reaction to drop offs, but this is truly well done. The branch rock was a great call. One thing I've often wondered (which is in no way a critique) is why not try a Rockwall, along the back and down the drop off? You should leave your system as is, I just find it curious no one has ever attempted it given the look people generally try to achieve with a drop off. Any way, just to restate it, gorgeous build, I'll be following along.

thanks very much :) no offence taken. that would be a very cool look with the rock wall and drop off. I may use it for my upgrade in a couple years.

Quick update: I've just put my name down on a couple corals that are coming from a tank breakdown so hopefully be getting those soon. they are very nice!! Will keep them a suprise.
I have also added a yellow watchman goby a few days ago but not really seen him enough to get a pic yet but he's a pretty fish. Blue spots really stand out.
Did a big clean last night as struggling with algae issues so i think my phosphates are up and my algae scrubber is partly to blame as when maturing they draw out all the phosphates from inside the rock work and cause more algae to grow before starving it, in a nutshell. Basically the scrubbers started to work i hope anyway. Harvested some algae off of it as well as was quite thick and did a few alterations to get better flow over it. Replaced my Phosphate remover and cleaned the reactor as well in case that was the reason.
Gave all the rockwork a good blast to get rid of some detritius on them. Also removed my filter sock and replaced with filter pond sponges. Catch a lot more and dont clog as quick hopefully. In the process I found my blenny in my filter sock lol. He's okay but must have had a pretty decent rollercoaster ride.
I've also managed to add a small Koralia Nano 900. its stashed behind the rockwork increasing the flow a bit round the bottom of the deep end. Was a bit worried the flow was too low down there so will see if theres a difference.
Today will be test day.....yay :/ lol

• 3 weeks later...

So as some of you may know i was lucky enough to win the photo competition and received these great little beauties from @southwestmarines; couple days ago. Seem to have settled in very well.And some more pics of tank at present. Also added a large cleaner shrimp which was given to me when i picked up the new tank as a freebie :)
http://s515.photobucket.com/user/wflanegan/media/IMG_2117_zpscfeda374.jpg.html'>IMG_2117_zpscfeda374.jpg
http://s515.photobucket.com/user/wflanegan/media/IMG_2118_zpsb7d038fd.jpg.html'>IMG_2118_zpsb7d038fd.jpg
http://s515.photobucket.com/user/wflanegan/media/IMG_2119_zps6c291903.jpg.html'>IMG_2119_zps6c291903.jpg
http://s515.photobucket.com/user/wflanegan/media/IMG_2121_zpsd8431759.jpg.html'>IMG_2121_zpsd8431759.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE! :)

Afraid the tank has been shut down but upgraded to a Aquareef 300. Basically I got offered my dream tank for very cheap and couldn't refuse so my current tank looks like this:

IMG_2349_zpsiytwesif.jpg

Archived